This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Boston may be a small city, but it has so much to offer that it can be tough to decide what to do in your free time, and what to explore first! Here’s a guide to a few things happening this September around the city.

Friday, September 6th

Free Movie Night on the Common: Avengers: Endgame

Bring your soda, lawn chairs, and blankets, and settle in at dusk (around 8pm) near Frog Pond in the Common for a free showing of the record-breaking film, Avengers: Endgame. Plus, there’s free popcorn, too! 

Saturday, September 14th

South Boston Street Festival

Check out all that South Boston has to offer on East Broadway between I and L Streets from 11-4pm on Saturday the 14th! From live music and food stalls to local craftspeople and dance performances, this fest has got it all (and lots of cute puppies too!). 

Boston Social Fitness Festival

Get moving in Boston’s City Hall Plaza during the 4th annual Social Fitness Festival from 7am-3pm, with loads of free activities and instructor-led workouts all day long! With dance, yoga, running, cycling, and more, there’s bound to be something for everyone to get their sweat on. 

Sunday, September 15th

Boston Local Food Festival

Catch the 10th annual free Boston Local Food Fest on the Rose Kennedy Greenway from 11am-5pm and enjoy sustainable and local food of all kinds produced by Boston-area restaurants, organizations, and farmers! With chef & DIY demos and live music too, there’s something for every foodie, and plenty of opportunities to meet your local food producers and more about farming, sustainability, and nutritious food! This event will also be zero-waste, which is a huge bonus! 

Open Newbury Street

Newbury Street will be closed to all cars on the 15th from 10am-6pm to allow shoppers and foodies to roam free! Check out these 8 city blocks of some of the best shops and restaurants in the area. 

Wednesday September 25th – Sunday, September 29th

Boston Latino International Film Festival

Watch a collection of hand-picked documentaries and short films by a diverse group of filmmakers telling Latinx stories. Specific times and locations haven’t been released yet, but you can stay up-to-date and buy tickets here: http://www.bliff.org/

Anytime

Catch a Red Sox game

The season only lasts for so long, so see one while you can! Enjoy a frozen Del’s Lemonade, a Fenway Frank, and a game practically any day of the week—maybe catch a ball too! Check out their schedule at https://www.mlb.com/redsox/schedule/2019-09, and get tickets at student rates from Simmons OSLA, or at https://www.mlb.com/redsox/tickets/single-game-tickets

Do some yoga at the Frog Pond in Boston Common

Join a free group yoga session in the Boston Common any Thursday of the month from 6-7:15pm. An instructor-led vinyasa flow session, this class is enjoyable for yogis of any level! 

SoWa Open Market

Hop over to Harrison Ave in the South End on any Saturday or Sunday of the month from 10am-4pm to check out SoWa Open Market and all of its food trucks, vintage & food markets, artists, and local craftspeople. 

Concerts!

With tons of concert venues around the city, there’s always someone good playing. Check out showtimes at places like TD Garden, Agganis Arena, House of Blues Boston, Paradise Rock Club, The Middle East, and Brighton Music Hall! 

Fall is the best time in the city, by far—so get out there and enjoy it!

Junior at Simmons University studying Communications, Graphic Design, and Cinema Studies // HC Video Director // Fandom geek and cooking enthusiast
Ariana Infanti is a senior Nutrition major at Simmons University who loves learning and writing about food, fashion, and sustainability.