Underrated Shows to Watch on Netflix

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Looking for something new to watch on Netflix? Sometimes when looking past the typically popular shows you can find something great. Check out these underrated shows on Netflix for your next night in!

1. Arrested Development

Genre: Comedy

This comedy centers around a dysfunctional family who was once wealthy but is currently under investigation due to their father’s crimes. The family is left with very little money and is unable to maintain the lifestyles they had become accustomed to throughout their lives, which makes for some funny situations. Each family member is funny, lovable and interesting, and everyone who watches has a different favorite in the group. The show ran for four seasons, and there is talk of Netflix making a fifth years later. If you’re in the mood for a smart, funny and lovable comedy look no further!

1. Skins

Genre: Drama

Skins is a British show that centers around three groups of teenagers going through high school (called college in England.) Every two seasons the characters graduate and a new group of people come in, which keeps the show interesting. Skins had seven seasons, and featured dynamic and real characters that viewers can relate to. This is a great show to watch if you’re in the mood for an original and interesting drama.

Content warning for Skins: drug and alcohol use, mental illness, suicide, eating disorders

1. Love (Netflix Original)

Genre: Dramedy

Love is a great show about two young adults living in LA who meet and fall in love. The show takes you through Mickey and Gus’ friendship, and into their relationship. The two main characters are lovable, witty and seemingly a terrible match for each other. Gus is a quiet, nerdy and misunderstood guy while Mickey is a loud, empowered risk taker who isn’t afraid of anything. If you’re looking for a funny, romantic drama, this show won’t disappoint!

1. Weeds

Genre: Dramedy

Weeds is easily one of my favorite shows on Netflix. It centers around a recently-widowed suburban mother, Nancy, and her family as Nancy starts selling weed to support her lifestyle. The show features some really funny stereotypical suburban characters and takes you through the ups and downs of Nancy’s time in the drug business. It’s a perfect mix between a dramatic plotline and a comedic one, and is a lighthearted show for the most part if that’s what you’re looking for!

1. Freaks and Geeks

Genre: Comedy

Freaks and Geeks may have only run for one season, but it’s definitely a show worth watching. It is set in the 80’s and features young Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, Busy Philipps and James Franco, and as if that’s not enough, it also has a great plot. The show centers around two friend groups: the “freaks” and the “geeks.” The freaks are typical high school stoners who don’t care much for school or homework and only want to party and skip school. The first episode shows the main character, Lindsay’s, transition into this group. Lindsay’s younger brother, Sam, belongs to the Geeks and is struggling to adjust to his first year of high school. The characters are loveable and relatable and overall it’s a great show to watch if you don’t want to commit to several seasons.

All photos courtesy of IMDB

Co-CC and Co-Founder of our HC chapter at Simmons U. Current senior and PR/Marketing Major. LA born and raised, but a bi-coastal girl in-training. Enthusiast of alpacas, sunscreen and overnight oats.