Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips For Picking A Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

You spent all of the high school taking classes you weren’t that interested in and now you’re expected to choose a specific area of studies. The pressure can be overwhelming, and being asked about your major or your professional goals can get tiring. A lot of people have no idea what they want to pursue as a career, including those who do have a major. Even if you end up deciding on one now, you may change your mind later! Here are a few tips for helping you figure out what you might want to do:

1. Take a variety of different classes.

Sometimes the best way to find what you like is to figure out what you don’t like. Try classes that sound interesting to you or relate to a field you are interested in exploring. This will help you decide what you like to study, as well as what your strengths are. You may not think of yourself as the creative type, but maybe an art or advertising class will bring out your knack for it.

2. Get involved on campus.

College will give you amazing opportunities to spend time with like-minded people working toward a common goal. Unlike taking classes, you won’t have the pressure of trying to meet requirements or get graded assignments done on time. This is a great way to meet people and have a lot of fun while figuring out what you like to do and what your strong suits are.

3. Consider your interests and values. 

People often say to do what you love, but what if you have no idea what that might be? Before you think about what you might want to pursue in your education, think about what you love doing outside of a school or professional setting. Even if your love for yoga won’t make you a professional yogi, maybe you can work for a business that specializes in athletic wear. You can almost always connect what you’re interested in with your professional life, so keep an open mind.

4. Do your research. 

Before deciding on something like Psychology or Pre-Medicine, make sure that you either talk to professionals in your field of interest or do a little researching on the internet. Figure out what kind of schooling or certification you may need after you graduate, or the number of jobs available in your area of interest. You don’t need to just focus on what makes the most money, but it can’t hurt to look at the salary and job growth expected for whichever career you’re interested in.

5. Don’t stress!

Life will take you down so many paths, and what you do now is not guaranteed to be what you’ll be doing for the rest of your life. Even after you pick a major, you don’t have to necessarily choose a career path that is directly related. College is a great time for figuring out what you really want from life, so take this opportunity to focus on yourself and what you love to do.

Simmons College Class of 2019 Public Relations and Marketing Communications