This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

As a college student, I don’t have a ton of time to socialize with my friends. It’s a sad fact of life. When I’m not doing my homework, I’m studying for a test. When I’m not studying for a test, I’m working at my part-time job. When I’m not working at my part-time job, I’m usually sleeping. Like many college students, it’s hard for me to see my friends during the school week. I see them on the weekends occasionally, but it’s difficult to coordinate our crazy class-filled schedules.

Since my sophomore year, I’ve been a member of the Colleges of the Fenway Theater Project. It’s three hours a week that I get to spend with other people that love theatre. During that time, I’m not thinking about my to-do list or my homework assignments. I’m acting, having conversation that doesn’t revolve around school, and goofing around with my friends.

As a freshman, I didn’t make an effort to socialize during the school week. As a result, I had a hard time separating myself from my schoolwork. My whole life revolved around my classes, I didn’t have many friends, and it felt like I was slowly losing my mind.

Life is so much better now that I have something to look forward to!

If you don’t already make an effort to see your friends during the school week, please try to. Grab a coffee with a friend in between classes. Join a club that has nothing to do with academics. Remember you have a life outside of school, and it’s incredibly important to take time to separate yourself from all your stressors.

You’re so much more than a student. Study hard, but take time for yourself too. We’re all on this ride together, we might as well try to enjoy it a little more.

A suburban girl turned city slicker who loves her friends, writing, and her Sephora Beauty Insider card.