Stand Out Moments from the Season 12 Premiere of RuPaul’s Drag Race

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

RuPaul’s Drag Race has returned for its 12th season, and mama, it promises to be GOOD. We only got to meet seven of the queens for the first part of the two-part premiere, but even with only half of the girls, I thought the episode was action-packed and thoroughly entertaining. I love each one of them, so I won’t be able to provide a critical review. Instead, here’s a list of some of the best stand-out moments of the premiere: 

(Warning: this is the most self-indulgent thing I’ve ever done. Also, spoilers.)

Widow Von’Du’s entrance look: it’s entirely black, a risky choice, because sometimes it’s challenging to see the details. But it still shows up incredibly on camera. Feathers, rhinestones, everything. She looks gorgeous.

Everything, and I mean everything, that Heidi N. Closet says. She is literally hilarious. Examples: “I’m from Ramseur, North Carolina, where the chickens outnumber the people.” “I know I look good in my leprosy print.” “You can see her civil rights hair!!”  

GiGi Goode walks in with a stunning pirate look, and her entrance line is, just simply, “ahoy.” Ahoy! I think it’s incredible that her mom makes most of her costumes. Also, I’m older than GiGi, which makes me supremely uncomfortable.  

Crystal Methyd: “I think the most impressive thing I bring to the table is my sick moves, I’m known as the dancing diva.” 

Producer: “Is that true?” 

Crystal Methyd: “No.” 

Favorite looks from the fashion show mini-challenge: 

• Widow Von’Du’s spring neoprene fantasy 

• Both of Jackie Cox’s retro 60’s glam looks 

• GiGi Goode’s “lesbian motorcycle gang” spring look 

• Nicky Doll’s suit look for fall

• Crystal Methyd’s Freddy Krueger inspired sweater and safety pin gown for fall 

Nicky: What does your tattoo say?

Crystal: I got it at a concert, it says One Direction. 

Nicky: No, I don’t trust you.

Jackie Cox: You have a tattoo that says “One Direction in Arabic?” 

Nicky, for Crystal: Yes!

Jackie Cox: Do you speak Arabic? 

Crystal: No! But I didn’t want everyone to know that I have a One Direction tattoo.

Nicki Minaj guest judging, and taking RuPaul’s role on the main stage. 

Gigi Goode’s verse during the maxi challenge rap. I’ve been saying “good morning campers!” to my friends every day since.

Also, Widow Von’Du’s verse. The way she just spun and slid into a split? Gorgeous, incredible, show stopping, never been done before. 

My favorite runway look was Nicky Doll’s outfit that, according to Carson Kressley, “P!nk or Robyn would wear on a tour.” Heart eyes all around.

Finally, in this week’s unexpected winners’ lip sync, Gigi Goode held her own well against Widow Von’Du. These queens have very different performance styles, making for a very fun lip sync! 

Okay, that’s it! So far this season promises to be fun, with a great group of girls. I hope you tune in!  

Lilli Thorne

Simmons '20

Lilli is a history and political science student in the Simmons University class of 2020. When she's not working on her research, she loves to relax with a good book or podcast, scroll on Pinterest, and catch up on the newest episode of RuPaul's Drag Race.
Julia Hansen is a senior at Simmons studying PR/Marketing Communications and English with minors in cinema, media arts, and graphic design. When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found reading every book she can find, retweeting photos of dogs and binge-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Find her on IG @juliarosehansen