This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

1. Paper Towel Curls

To get this look, roll sections of dry hair around a paper towel, starting at the ends and wrapping towards your head. When you reach the roots of your hair, tie the ends of the paper towel into a secure knot. This hairstyle is easier to sleep on because the paper towels are soft, but if you’re worried about the knots coming loose you can always cover your hair with a hat or a scarf before you go to sleep! In the morning, just untie the knots and unroll each section to reveal full, bouncy curls!

Image Credit to Pinterest

2. Straw Curls

This trick uses a similar technique to the paper towel curls. Gather a bunch of plain plastic straws and wrap sections of your hair around the middles of the straws, rolling from the ends up to the roots. When you reach your head, tie the ends of the straws together and pull to tighten. Again, you might want to put on a hat or scarf to protect the knots from coming loose. When you wake up and unravel the straw knots, you’ll see tightly coiled ringlets. Run your fingers gently through the curls to break them up and you’re good to go!

Image Credit to Pinterest

3. French Braids

Image Credit to Pinterest

This is a classic way to create effortless waves. You can switch it up by changing the number of braids you make. Two braids is the standard, but for smaller and tighter waves, try four braids, or use a single braid for a super loose texture. A rope braid is also a unique ~twist~ on the regular braid: separate your hair into two sections, twist the individual sections in the same direction, and then wrap them around each other in the opposite direction so that it looks like a rope. . Start with slightly damp hair – if it’s too wet, it won’t dry while you sleep but completely dry hair will not set the curls as well.

4. Bantu Knots

This is a traditional African hairstyle that is perfect for creating full curls. Just twirl your hair until it coils in on itself like a tiny bun, wrap it tightly and secure with pins or a hair elastic. This one is a little harder to sleep in, but if you make the knots flat instead of super tall, you won’t be uncomfortable.

Image Credit to Pinterest  

5. Sock Curls

This technique is similar to paper towel and straw curls because you have to wrap your hair around the sock and tie the ends into a knot, but this style will leave you with softer, less intense curls. Also, you won’t be wasting any paper towels or plastic straws, so it’s a slightly greener approach to heatless waves.

Image Credit to Pinterest

6. Pin Curls

If you have a good amount of time on your hands, why not give pin curls a try? Coil small sections of hair into discs and lay them flat against your head. Slide a strong bobby pin right through the middle of the coil to hold it in place and then head off to bed! I would recommend using a hat or scarf to keep everything in place overnight.

Image Credit to Pinterest

Ariana Infanti is a senior Nutrition major at Simmons University who loves learning and writing about food, fashion, and sustainability.