This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

I’ve finally done something I wanted to do for years, but was too hesitant to take the plunge: I went to a concert by myself. For weeks in advance, I habitually checked Stub Hub for a good deal. I wanted to see Tove Lo, and I needed to be on the floor. Her music is so dance-y, I reasoned, so I would need a dance floor. 

Finally, three days before the show, I made the impulse buy. But there was only one ticket at the low price I found, and I didn’t know anyone who also loved Tove Lo enough to be willing to spend more money on the ticket. “Well,” I thought, “I’m doing this.” 

I got ready for the show feeling a bit anxious, so I compensated by putting on too much vibrant pink eyeshadow and glitter. That, I also felt, was only appropriate. It’s Tove Lo, after all! 

Luckily, the venue was only about a 10 minute walk from where I live in Boston, so I could take my time, eat a good meal, and apply all the highlighter I wanted before heading out. I took my place in line, sandwiched between groups of friends, and suddenly felt calm. 

Immediately after getting into the venue, I bought myself one drink, as a treat, and staked out a good spot. Up near the bar, so I could lean on a railing, and see everything being one step up. 

Before I knew it, the show started. And I had a blast.

What I found was that being at the concert alone, I felt more free in my reactions. I knew no one around me, I knew I would never see them again, so I felt content to smile and scream the lyrics. I danced like no one was watching, because even if they were, it didn’t matter. 

People, I found, were really nice to me. They knew I had come alone, so they offered conversation in between sets, and fun dance moves to mirror. 

Sometimes, I feel like going to concerts can feel like a higher pressure situation than it needs to be. I feel nervous that I’m not experiencing the concert in the way that I “should.” That I’m taking too much video and not living in the moment, or that I’m dancing too much or not enough. Going by myself made me feel more comfortable, and recognize that there is no right or wrong way to attend a concert! There was nothing for me to worry about at all. I didn’t have to worry if my friends were having fun, or if they wanted to leave. It was just me, and it felt incredible.

Doing things alone has been a wonderful learning experience for me. Recently, I also took myself out to a sit down dinner, and felt no shame sitting and eating by myself. Unlearning the shame of alone time has been instrumental in learning to feel comfortable with myself. 

The only con of solo concert going, from my experience, was reckoning with losing your spot to go the bathroom! I sheepishly asked someone if he would save my spot, and luckily he took pity on me and agreed. Definitely something to consider! 

Overall, a 10/10 experience: I would recommend to a friend.   

Lilli Thorne

Simmons '20

Lilli is a history and political science student in the Simmons University class of 2020. When she's not working on her research, she loves to relax with a good book or podcast, scroll on Pinterest, and catch up on the newest episode of RuPaul's Drag Race.
Julia Hansen is a senior at Simmons studying PR/Marketing Communications and English with minors in cinema, media arts, and graphic design. When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found reading every book she can find, retweeting photos of dogs and binge-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Find her on IG @juliarosehansen