gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Open Letter to My College Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Dear my college best friend,

Can you believe we’ve only been friends for two years? It feels like I’ve known you forever. I guess college will do that to you. I don’t know about you, but I think I’ve aged centuries and that’s not just the bags under my eyes talking. I’m referring to how well we know each other. In such a short period of time, we went from complete strangers to inseparable friends. I know everything about you, from your pet peeves to your teeth brushing habits. I pretty much have my Ph.D. on everything you.     

Do you remember our first not-so-awkward silence? It was a hot early September afternoon and we were walking back from class laughing about something we saw on Cosmo (like usual). Then there was a sudden lull in the conversation, something that would typically make me uncomfortable, but around you it was okay. I remember thinking to myself, “Oh no! Now, what do I say? I don’t want this to get weird.” But it didn’t. We walked the rest of the way in peaceful silence. It was then that I knew our friendship had crossed that figurative line from class friend to real friend. We were the real deal.     

From that day on we were glued to the hip. There wasn’t a time when I wasn’t with you. If your sister came to visit for lunch, I was there splitting nachos. If I needed to use the bathroom at a party, you were there to hold the toilet paper. If one of us had a date, we were together up until the other left and instantly when they got back. We could not miss a thing! We even have the same classes together. There are very few people on this Earth that I could ever spend that much time with, you just happen to be one of them. It takes a family type of relationship to make that possible. I consider you part of my family.     

College wouldn’t be the same without you. You’re my right hand, my go-to and my person. Thank goodness you like Grey’s Anatomy as much as I do because that might have been where I drew the friendship line. Thank you for putting up with my frequent FaceTime calls, sporadic insomnia and crazy freakouts. There is no one else I’d rather tell everything to than you. You always know just what to say when I’m having a bad day and are there to listen when I have exciting news. You truly are the BEST of best friend material!  While the future is up for grabs as college comes to a close, I know we’ll always remain constant. Maybe our future kids will really be best friends? Perhaps our spouses will have that special bonding time we always talk about? If there’s one thing for certain though, you will always be my college best friend. I love you!

Yours truly,

Me

21 years old • Maine • Fourth year exercise science student with dreams of becoming a physical therapist