This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Whether you’re a Boston native or a new student to the city, you’ve heard of the famed Boston T. If you’ve yet to venture out on your own via MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority), fear not! It really isn’t as scary as it seems. So just what is this public transportation system and how does one master it?

Over 120 years ago, the United States opened the very first subway system on the green line, right here in Boston! Over the years, modern technology and a growing industrial environment have drastically improved our train cars to be those we know and love today. Now, there are more than 130 subway stations throughout and around the city that get Bostonions to and fro.

Differing slightly during holidays, the T generally runs from 5 AM to 1:30 AM. Ultimately, there are five, color-coordinated lines you’ll hear of, that make up Boston’s five “transit lines”: the green, red, blue, orange, and silver. Each of these lines run through and intersect at different parts of the city to offer you a wide variety of route options. Typically, a line’s middle stops will get you to the central parts of Boston, while the beginning and ending stops of a line will get you to the outskirts such as Riverside, Braintree and Alewife.

There are two ways to purchase a ride on Boston’s subway: CharlieCards and CharlieTickets. CharlieCards are small plastic cards that can be purchased at various locations (visit https://www.mbta.com/fares/retail-sales-locations to find out where). CharlieCards act as reloadable gift cards that you can continue to add money onto with cash or card payments whenever you want. All you need to do is visit a ticket fare machine, located at every station, and add however much your heart desires!

CharlieTickets are paper tickets. Also purchased at ticket fare machines, these paper stubs offer one-way, round-trip, week, and even monthly passes. Single one way tickets cost $2.75, but bear in mind that a ride on the T with a CharlieCard will only charge you $2.25. Thus, if you’re a frequent subway rider, and want to save a few dollars here and there, a CharlieCard may be the right choice for you.

Once you’ve purchased your ticket or card, the hard part is over! Indoor stations will require you to tap your CharlieCard or insert your CharlieTicket into a machine before entering the platform, while above-ground stations like Fenway, allow you to do this with a machine on the train car. The only thing to watch out for with the T is rush hour. If possible, be sure to get where you’re headed before four in the afternoon, because riding the subway sardine-style, is never fun.

All in all, the T is a great way to save time and money in the city. If you ever have questions or concerns, ask any of the wonderful MBTA employees at your local station for help getting around. Good luck and happy subway riding!

Helen Ruhlin

Simmons '21

Second-year student from Maine at Simmons University. Currently undeclared, usually lost, perpetually happy!