How To Not Fall Flat On Your Face This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Four classes, two internships, two leadership positions and soccer. That is my semester. Trying to do all of this while having a social life can be challenging. Sometimes, I don’t know how I don’t fall flat on my face with the amount of work I have on my plate.

Here are my five secrets on how to balance all that you have going on without falling this fall.

1. Rule number 32 from ZombieLand is my number one, enjoy the little things.

When you get an A on that project, or you get a compliment from your supervisor, take time to reward yourself and celebrate. Watch that show you’ve been hearing about, or go to a restaurant with your friends. You will feel like you don’t have the time, but you do. Your mind will thank you for it.

2. Learn how to say no.

Sometimes, you just can’t do everything. Write out your job descriptions for your clubs and internships to refer back to. If something falls out of line, don’t be afraid to say no or negotiate what they are asking of you to fall into your job category. People won’t be as mad as you think if you say no. They understand that everyone has limits.

3. Actually use the planner you bought.

Whether you want to write it down, or keep track of your schedule in Google calendar, you have to put your schedule somewhere. With a lot going on, details can slip through the cracks. Don’t let that happen by color coding your tasks and setting reminders on your phone. Do this immediately after you find out a date of an assignment or a meeting to avoid forgetting.

4. Communication

Communicate to your advisor, professors, coaches, family and friends about what your schedule is like and when you are free to talk to them. This will allow you not to stress over your email or phone buzzing constantly. When they know what times you are busy, they will make sure to contact you when you can communicate back to them.

5. Listen to yourself

Your body tells you more than you think. If you feel fatigued, listen to that warning, then find spaces in your schedule to slow down. If your mind is reading off negative thoughts, take deep breaths, then tell yourself 10 reasons why you are amazing because you truly are amazing.

I am a fan of experiences. I love to expand my knowledge anyway possible, whether that is traveling, attending a new class, writing an article for Her Campus, or on the soccer field. I'm determined to experience every aspect that life has to offer.