How to Make Your Closet More Sustainable Without Becoming a Minimalist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Over the past few years, the movement to declutter, organize, tidy up, and minimize your closet has been booming. Consumers are finally becoming aware of the huge environmental impact they are having by constantly buying items they don’t need. The minimalist movement has been a huge pushback in response to this trend. While minimalism does have many benefits, there are many of us out there who enjoy having lots of stuff, especially clothes. If you’re looking to reduce the environmental impact of your wardrobe without getting rid of 80% of it, this article is for you.

Extend the life of your clothing

Anna Schultz-Girl Looking Through Closet
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

According to Wrap UK, extending the life of clothes by just nine extra months of active use would reduce carbon, water and waste footprints by around 20-30% each. That means taking good care of your items and making sure they get the most wear. If you don’t like a certain fit anymore, try getting it tailored (you can even try doing this yourself if you have some sewing skills)! Buying a piece of clothing just to throw it out months later is never good. Try wearing it out! Maybe you’ll rediscover some new favorites.

Shop secondhand

The image is a rack of clothing
Via JamesDemers on Pixabay

The impact of shopping secondhand is not to be underestimated. With major fashion brands turning to the fast fashion model of 52 seasons per year, newly manufactured clothes aren’t necessarily made to last. However, you can shop secondhand and keep this pieces alive! Do you miss flare jeans? Go down to your local Goodwill to see what they have. It’s important to remember just how many secondhand clothes are out there looking for a home instead of going out and buying something new. Go on a thrift store scavenger hunt with your friends for some added fun!

Be sustainable in your laundry practice

Lindsay Thompson-Miami Laundry Posing Vintage Pensive
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus

This may come as a shock to some of you, but you don’t need to wash every item of clothing after just one wear! Jeans, for example, can get several wears before needing a wash. The CEO of Levi’s once went 10 years before washing a pair of his jeans! While you don’t need to be that extreme, most recommend washing jeans anywhere between every three wears to around once a month. Find what works best for you! By washing your clothes less often, you are saving water. According to the University of Michigan, the average washing machine uses 13,500 gallons of water per year, which is as much water as you will drink in your lifetime! 

Determine what you actually need

Yasmine Boheas
Yasmine Boheas / Unsplash

While you don’t need to whittle down your wardrobe to ten items of clothing, doing a thorough closet clean out ever so often can help you realize what you do and don’t wear. I know I recently discovered a sweater that I thought I loved but had actually never worn. Figure out what items you don’t think you’re going to wear within the year and try donating them or passing them onto a friend who might want them. You might not need 15 sweaters but you do need at least one winter coat. 

By following these tips, you can make your closet more sustainable without taking it to any extremes! If you’ve recently done a closet clean out and found clothes you no longer want and/or you are looking for some clothes, but you want to be sustainable in how you get them, come to the clothing swap this weekend! Swap N Shop, our semi-annual clothing swap in partnership with sustainability will be this Saturday, December 7th, from 1-5 p.m in Quadside! You can drop off clothing before the swap at Bartol on December 2nd and December 4th from 5-9 p.m. 

Julia Hansen is a senior at Simmons studying PR/Marketing Communications and English with minors in cinema, media arts, and graphic design. When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found reading every book she can find, retweeting photos of dogs and binge-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Find her on IG @juliarosehansen