priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How I Survived My College Long Term Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

My boyfriend and I had an interesting start to our relationship. We were friends throughout my senior year of high school and became really close that summer, but only started dating a week before I moved into college. Sounds crazy, I know. Lots of people told us it wouldn’t last and told me I was making a really bad decision, but we’ve been together for a year now and it’s been one of the best decisions I’ve made. 

Communication

Communicating on a regular, daily basis is really important if you are in a long distance relationship. There are lots of ways to communicate with your SO- texting, Snapchat, FaceTime, Skype, etc. My boyfriend and I text and Snapchat throughout the day and if we have time, FaceTime at night or on the weekends when I am not drowning in homework. We also send each other memes or things that remind us of each other, which to me, is super cute. Also, don’t be afraid to express emotion while on Facetime or through text! It’s important that your SO knows what you’re going through and most likely, they’ll want to know what’s going on in your life. 

Trust

Being miles away from someone can seem scary sometimes. I’ll admit, my anxiety does a lot of talking and makes me worry about things. Trust is mutual in my relationship and always will be due to how open we are with another. It’s so important to trust your SO in a long distance relationship or else anxiety will eat you alive and possibly create problems in the relationship. 

Take Advantage of Breaks

Winter, spring and summer breaks are the best times for me to see my boyfriend. We both live in the same area, so we make sure that our work schedules are the same during breaks. We also take time off at the same time if we plan on going on a vacation or a weekend trip. Make sure to plan ahead! I also got to meet his family and friends during breaks and spend time with them and he got to meet mine as well. Family is very important to my boyfriend, so meeting them and hanging out with them has had a really positive impact on our relationship.

Weekend Visits

My boyfriend visits me at school and sometimes I visit him, which I know isn’t reality for some couples. We usually try to see each other once or twice a month. Sometimes it isn’t possible due to the cost, schedule conflicts and the amount of homework or studying I have, but we try to see each other as often as possible. 

Get Organized

I always have lots of homework throughout the week that often takes hours and hours to complete.  I have a whiteboard calendar, daily planner and put everything into my phone’s calendar with alerts. I know doing all of that seems extra, but it helps me stay on top of everything. If I know my boyfriend is visiting, I’ll try to do all my homework before the weekend. I also make sure that my boyfriend tells me his plans for the weekend beforehand too.

Go On Dates

This may seem obvious, but dates are a great way to catch up and have one on one time with your SO. Sometimes long distance can seem static, but going out when you see each other makes so many great memories and allows you to bond even more. Every time my boyfriend visits, we explore a new part of Boston together.

Distance requires a lot of trust, independence and communication. It has taught me to be an independent, yet selfless person. Distance is hard, but in the end, love is worth any distance. 

Olivia is a junior at Simmons University and is studying neuroscience and French. When she's not studying, you can find her exploring Boston, trying out new makeup looks, or walking dogs.
Julia Hansen is a senior at Simmons studying PR/Marketing Communications and English with minors in cinema, media arts, and graphic design. When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found reading every book she can find, retweeting photos of dogs and binge-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Find her on IG @juliarosehansen