katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

How To Find a Job In a College Town

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Living in a college town is all fun and games until you run out of money and need a job. Finding entry­level part­time/full times jobs in a city with thousands of college students can seem like a daunting task. However, it’s not as hard as it seems. Here are 4 tips to score your next job.

1. Use your school’s job search engine.

If you qualify for work­study and want to use it, then start checking your school’s website for work­study opportunities. And if you don’t qualify, STILL CHECK IT. I recently took on a little job for “side money” as a note­taker. I get paid to sit in a class that I am already taking and take notes (which I already do) and get paid for it! 

2. Update your resume.

Having an awesome resume is essential to getting interviews. Make a small investment in yourself and purchase a resume template. Here are some links to resume templates under $10 that’ll be sure to grab a hiring manager’s attention.

(I currently am using this last one. A manager has even complimented me on it and said I looked well put together)

3. Use Your Search Engines

Indeed, Monster, Google, Glassdoor, Craigslist, ZipRecruiter, etc. This is by far the easiest way to find a job!

4. Make your own opportunities!

If you like a particular store, call and see if they’re hiring. You don’t have to necessarily wait for a job posting online. I literally got my last job while shopping. I really liked the store and went up to an employee and asked if they were hiring and the job was mine!

With the help of these tips, you’ll be able to start your work grind soon! Good luck with the job hunt y’all.

Jessica Becerra is a sophomore at Simmons College. Although currently majoring in Psychology, Jessica aspires to be an elementary school teacher. When not writing for HerCampus Jessica can be found studying, exploring new places, and binge watching The Office.