How to Conquer a Bad Habit in 5 Simple Steps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

After my 21 years living, I have finally decided to attempt to end my bad habit. Everyone has their own little bad habit, mine for example is picking at my lips. Many people bite their nails, eat their hairs, pick at their skin or scalp- and it’s okay we all have faults! Sometimes you just feel the inspiration to better yourself though. So, I’m here to share with you my plan to finally end my own bad habit.

Step 1: Understand why you do this habit

Like me, you may have been doing this habit all your life to deal with stress and then it kind of formed into a habit I do on the daily in order to feel comfortable. On the contrary, this habit has been destroying my lips and making me feel more self conscious.

Step 2: Motivation

Probably the most obvious. You do need major motivation in order to actually break a habit no matter how long you’ve been doing it.

Step 3: Attempt to develop a good habit similar to your bad habit

That’s right. It’s time to develop a beneficial habit to diminish your bad one. There are many ways to counter these bad habits, here are a few suggestions. So, for me that may be to use lipstick or obsessively use lip balm. For people who pick their nails, it’s time to paint your nails.

Step 4: Keep yourself in check

If you find yourself doing said bad habit unconsciously, stop it. What I do is I flick myself with a hairband to associate doing that habit with pain (A lil psychology for ya).

Step 5: Do not give up

I know you’ll want to give in and just feel comfortable doing your bad habit, but you need to keep trying. Keep reminding yourself that you are bettering yourself by stopping this bad habit and more importantly, you can do it!

At the end of the road, it’s all worth it! You have successfully taken control and ended a bad habit. Although I am still working on ending my bad habit, you should definitely give it a go! Best of luck!

All GIFs courtesy of Giphy.

Kelly Biondo

Simmons '19

Hi! I'm Kelly and I'm a senior at Simmons University studying PR/MarComm. I am the social media director for Her Campus Simmons and couldn't be happier. In my free time, I walk dogs for Wag, procrastinate or I'm out exploring Boston. Follow me on Instagram @kelllybiondo to see what I'm up to!