How to Be the Leslie Knope of Everything You Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

I’ve been watching a lot of Parks and Recreation on Netflix lately because 1. It’s an amazing show and 2. It’s light-hearted, fun, and great for letting go of all the stress I’m constantly carrying around. While I’ve been watching all these episodes (so many episodes), I’ve realized that it is my dream to be as awesome as Leslie Knope. 

So, here’s a list of how to be like the determined, optimistic, waffle-loving Leslie Knope.

1. Work hard

Leslie is known for her strong work ethic and determination to get things done. Putting 110% effort into everything you do will make Leslie Knope proud.

2. Keep your priorities straight

Even a workaholic like Leslie knows that work should never come before everything in your life. Make time for friends and anything else that keeps you happy (like waffles!).

3. Remember that self-care is important…

Taking care of yourself is super important. Even if it’s just a voicemail to yourself reminding you that everything is going to be okay.

4. And so are your friends

Leslie is constantly showering her friends with gifts and affection. Never take your friends for granted, because they will be there for you when you need it most.

5. Be your own inspiration

Never underestimate the power of being confident and loving yourself.

6. Don’t be afraid to ask for help

There is nothing wrong with asking for help when you need it. In the end, it will only make you a better, stronger person.

7. Be passionate

Leslie is defined by how passionate she is. If you really care about something, don’t be afraid to speak up about it.

8. Take pride in your accomplishments, no matter how small.

Leslie is never afraid to celebrate the little things. Be proud of what you accomplish!

9. And never underestimate the power of breakfast food

Breakfast food is a top priority for Leslie. It should be a top priority for everyone, really. I don’t think there’s a sadness that can’t be cured with waffles.

I hope you’re motivated to live your best Knope-inspired life!

If you love breakfast food as much as Leslie, be sure to take part in Parks and Recfast on Thursday, October 12! The members of HerCampus will be taking orders from 8-11pm and delivering breakfast-for-dinner directly to your dorm!

Julia Hansen is a senior at Simmons studying PR/Marketing Communications and English with minors in cinema, media arts, and graphic design. When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found reading every book she can find, retweeting photos of dogs and binge-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Find her on IG @juliarosehansen