Here’s What 10 Simmons Students Have to Say About Sustainability

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Simmons students needed little prompting when I asked them for their favorite sustainability tips or words of wisdom. Here is what 10 members of the community said: 

“Use a diva cup. It slaps.” 

“Get a water bottle you think looks cool to carry around, so you’ll carry it around.” 

“Buy a huge thermos so you can buy refills from Common Grounds or Meyers and get huge amounts of coffee.” 

“PSA: The plastic cutlery is not recyclable, so bring your own fork and knife.”  

“If you can’t afford reusable cutlery, just reuse one of the plastic disposable ones!” 

“There is a sign in the fens that you can bring a reusable container for unweighed items like sandwiches, the grill, and world flavors.”

“I don’t like it when people are sustainable just as a fashion statement. Pay attention to politicians who care about the environment, and aren’t just doing it because they’re running. Also, the most important part of the waste hierarchy of reduce, reuse, recycle, is to reduce. Then reuse, then recycle.” 

“Do your own research. The vast majority of the pollution in the oceans is from the commercial fishing industry, it’s not straws.” 

“If everyone in the world said they weren’t going to use single use plastics anymore, it would barely make a dent. It’s all corporations.” 

“I love iced coffee, so I love bringing my own container. Wash your clothes in cold water- there is no scientific reason to wash your clothes in hot water. It’s easier and will use less electricity. Shop at the drop and swap!” 

The third semi-annual Her Campus Simmons and Sustainability Club Swap N Shop is Saturday, December 7th from 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. in Quadside! Please feel free to drop off clothes in Bartol during dinner on December 2nd, and December 4th, or bring them to the swap! 

Lilli Thorne

Simmons '20

Lilli is a history and political science student in the Simmons University class of 2020. When she's not working on her research, she loves to relax with a good book or podcast, scroll on Pinterest, and catch up on the newest episode of RuPaul's Drag Race.
Julia Hansen is a senior at Simmons studying PR/Marketing Communications and English with minors in cinema, media arts, and graphic design. When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found reading every book she can find, retweeting photos of dogs and binge-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Find her on IG @juliarosehansen