This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

While the nominations for the 61st annual Grammy Awards are due to be announced next week, there’s another exciting music awards ceremony happening in Boston on, December 12th at the House Of Blues. It’s the Boston Music Awards! There is a lot happening across the country regarding the best of the best in music (according to the Grammy’s) however, what does the music scene look like in Simmons backyard of Boston?

The Boston Music Awards is a live music awards show that showcases a variety of musical talent from across the Massachusetts area. Like the Grammy’s, it is a reflection of the previous year in music. It is the longest running regional music awards show in the country and it was founded in 1987. The Boston Music Awards goal is to highlight and celebrate Boston based musicians from all genres. Unlike the Grammy’s, the winners of each category are partially voted on by fans online!  

Look below for the categories that I am most excited to see the results of!

Folk Artist of the Year:

Anjimile

Box of Birds

Dan Blakeslee

Darlingside

Honeysuckle

Lula Wiles

Tall Heights

The Ballroom Thieves

The Wolff Sisters

Town Meeting

Looking at the category and listening to some of the highlights of the artists nominated, Anjimile, Darlingside, The Ballroom Thieves and Town Meeting are my favorites.

Alt/Indie Artist of the Year:

Bent Knee

Future Teens

Honey Cutt

Lilith

Mint Green

Palehound

Sidney Gish

Tipling Rock

Vundabar

Weakened Friends

The Alt/Indie Artist of the Year is filled with some exciting artists including, Mint Green, Palehound, Sidney Gish and Vundabar.

Another category that I am excited about is Live Music Venue of the Year. The nominees  include some of my favorite venues, including the Royale on Tremont Street, Paradise Rock Club on Commonwealth Avenue and the winner from 2017 The Sinclair near Harvard Square in Cambridge. I think that each venue nominated offers audiences a unique experience and should be all celebrate for different reasons.

Check out the complete list of nominees here and to buy tickets for the event here!

Kat Reidl

Simmons '20

my name is kat and I am a current junior at simmons universiy! I am studying accounting and arts administration. I love spending my time in art museums and curating the perfect spotify playlist.