This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

In case you missed any of the Simmons Shark matches, games or races, then you have come to the right place. Here is everything you need to know about each team’s season!

Tennis:

Photo courtesy of Simmons Athletics Website

Tennis finished out its regular season with the record of 9-5 (9 wins, 5 losses), which advanced them to the GNAC conference quarterfinals. The team beat Albertus Magnus 5-0 to advance to the semifinals to face Regis. Due to weather circumstances, the teams faced each other indoors at Winchester Indoor Tennis Center instead of at its home court at the Daly Complex. That didn’t stop the team from winning 5-1 to advance to the Championship. In the GNAC Championship, the team faced Johnson and Wales and lost 5-2.

A day after the championship, four tennis players were named to the 2017 GNAC All-Conference: Jessica Schroedl, Nickie Nguyen, Celia Speth and Marissa Johnson. One player, Olivia Lakes, was named to the GNAC All-Sportsmanship team.

Volleyball:

The volleyball team, for the first time in history, went to the GNAC Conference Championships. The team’s overall record for the season was 19-9 (19 wins and 9 losses). In tournament play, the sharks faced Suffolk at the Holmes Sports Center and won 3-0. Then the sharks hosted Rivier with a 3-0 win that advanced them to the championship game where they faced Johnson and Wales. They were defeated 3-0 but had close-set scores. Morgan Weeg received GNAC Player of the Year and placed on the GNAC All-Conference First Team as an outside hitter. Jarene Harberts made the GNAC All-Conference Second Team as an outside hitter.

Cross Country:

The sharks first meet for the season at the 2 mile Roger Williams Invitational, the team placed third with 88 points. The next two races for the team were 5K races. At the 37th Annual Women’s Codfish Bowl, the team placed fourth overall with 149 points. The next race the sharks ran in was the NEICAAA Championship (JV) where they scored 332 points and placed twelfth. In a 6K race the following week, the sharks placed fourth with 107 points at the Seven Sisters Championship. Closing out the season the sharks placed second at the 5K GNAC Championship with 62 points. In this race, runner Sarah Bohan earned a personal record with the time of 19:49. She also made the GNAC All-Conference First Team. Her teammates Samantha Jaffe and Allegra Egizi made the GNAC All-Conference Team. The sharks coach, Eric Ashe earned Coach of the Year for this season.

Field Hockey:

The Field Hockey team’s Julie Saltamartini broke the Simmons’ All-Time Points Leader record for field hockey, earning 139 game points with 62 goals. The team finished with 11 wins and 6 losses for the regular season. During tournament play, they played at Daly Field against Anna Maria College and won 8-0. In the semi-final round, the team traveled to St. Joseph’s Maine College and lost 5-0. The team’s goalie, Lucy McNamara won Rookie of the Year for the GNAC conference while earning a place on the All-Conference Second Team as well. Joining McNamara on the GNAC All-Conference Second Team is Abigail Anderson, Meghan Fontaine, Maggie Fuzak, Sammy Rondeau and Julie Saltamartini.  

Soccer:

The soccer team finished its season with an overall record of 9-6-2 (9 wins, 6 losses, 2 ties). This team broke the four-year gap in making it to the semi-final round. To get to the semi’s, they played Emmanuel College and won 2-0. In the semi’s the fell to Johnson and Wales 2-0. At the end of the season, Liz Donovan and Cíara Forde made it to the GNAC All-Conference Second Team. Lauren Brandau, Mikayla Elliott, Kashka Gammon and Jessie Pratt made it to the GNAC All-Conference Third Team. Two of the sharks, Casey Halle and Erin Fleming, made it onto the All-Tournament Team for the GNAC Conference. Erin Fleming also made the GNAC’s All-Sportsmanship Team. The sharks as a team won the Institutional Sportsmanship Award for the conference.

Congratulations to all of the teams on a memorable fall season! Make sure to check out the winter sports schedule on athletics.simmons.edu to support your fellow sharks!

I am a fan of experiences. I love to expand my knowledge anyway possible, whether that is traveling, attending a new class, writing an article for Her Campus, or on the soccer field. I'm determined to experience every aspect that life has to offer.