absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A College Student’s Guide to Healthy Eating in 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

2018 is in full swing, and that means everyone is trying to stick to their goals to make this year truly great. One way to truly embrace this ‘new year, new me’ mindset is to make healthy eating a priority!

Image courtesy of Bio Organics

1. Find a breakfast that works for you.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Starting the day with a simple, healthy breakfast sets the tone for the rest of your meals. Something easy like oats or cereal and fruit is key to a nutritious yet filling breakfast. Personally, I like to make some overnight oats (recipe here) so that way I can grab my breakfast to go in the mornings. Find something that works with your routine, so that you always have the energy to take on the day!

2. Snack better.

If you have a fridge in your room, you’re more likely to snack. The best way to stay healthy while still indulging in a post-class snack is to keep some healthy option stocked at all times.  Fruit, cheese sticks, and granola are some great options.

3. Use the dining hall to your advantage.

Having a meal plan can be both a blessing and a curse. When eating at the dining hall, it can be hard to find healthy options without turning to salads every night. That’s why it’s important to take advantage of all that is offered. For example, make a sandwich with some of the veggies from the salad bar and grill it with the panini press! If you’re craving pasta, add some Italian and balsamic dressing with black beans and chickpeas to make a healthy pasta salad!

4. Prep for Academic.

Sometimes, there are days where you can get stuck on the academic campus all day. I know that it’s difficult to find something healthy (especially for a meal swipe), so it helps to be prepared. Keep a granola bar on hand for in between classes, and find a healthy and hearty staple from one of the places to eat on campus that works for you! You can get some soup, or a sandwich from The Fens. Either way, having a plan in mind will always help you for those days where you aren’t able to get off campus!

5. Grocery shop like a pro.

Going grocery shopping is a real test of willpower. It would be so easy to buy those Pop-Tarts as opposed to the oatmeal, but it’s important to think ahead when shopping. Buy things that can be used for different purposes. For example, you can buy frozen fruit! It’s cheaper than fresh fruit and can be put in cereal or oatmeal or eaten as a snack or dessert! You can also buy staples such as rice and beans so that you always have something on hand for when you want to stay in your dorm.

6. Know your restaurants.

At some point, you’re probably going to want to go out to get dinner with your friends. Knowing what different places have on menu will go a long way here! You can cater things to your liking while still being healthy. For example, if you’re going to Chipotle, order more veggies and less cheese. You can also recommend a place to go such as Panera, where you can definitely order a healthy salad bowl or panini.

Here’s to a healthy and happy 2018!

Julia Hansen is a senior at Simmons studying PR/Marketing Communications and English with minors in cinema, media arts, and graphic design. When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found reading every book she can find, retweeting photos of dogs and binge-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Find her on IG @juliarosehansen