Celebrating 10 years of Simmons Radio at Finfest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

On March 29th, Simmons Radio The Shark celebrated 10 years  with a concert here on Simmons campus. The event was planned and organized by the radio executive board members and featured a lineup of local bands. As a member of the radio myself, I was so excited that the E-Board planned this event.  

The lineup consisted of four acts, and an opening set by our very own Simmons Sirens. The lineup included the missouri pacific, the green bullets, Frances Forever and prior panic. I thought that each act truly brought a unique sound to the anniversary concert. For me, the highlight of the night was “Cry Inside My Car” by Frances Forever- very relatable! Her lyrics really seemed to capture what we all seem to go through at this time in our lives.

Missouri Pacific, a rock band from New England, brought their soulful energy to the Finfest stage. They’ve only been together about a year but they mentioned that we should keep an eye out for their upcoming album!

The Green bullets describe themselves as a “glam garage pop”  band from New Hampshire. I had a great time listening to their 60’s rock vibe. Their set included vintage guitars, a trumpet special guest, and a lot of dancing.

My highlight, as mentioned above was Frances Forever. She played her recently released song Frankenstein Wannabe. She played her set on a piano  which was a fun change from her recorded, guitar-prominent tracks – special edition sound just for finfest. She brought her bedroom pop aesthetic to the FinFest lineup.

(Pictured above: Frances Forever and her band)

To round out the night, Prior Panic closed the show. They had a electric cello, which made their set exciting and full of energy. I thought their name looked familiar, so I did some research! Prior Panic recorded a 617 Session earlier in the year. 617 Sessions is a music series to highlight boston based recording artists by the Boston Music Awards.

As a DJ myself with Simmons radio, one of the most common things I hear when I mention that I have a radio show is “Simmons has a radio station?” It’s kind of funny! I really do think that this event brought some more Simmons students to the station. It was a great way to bring some of the music that is played on-air to campus.

It was great to see the Simmons community coming together to enjoy a fun night of live music.

I highly suggest you check out all the bands that performed at Finfest; here is a playlist!

Kat Reidl

Simmons '20

my name is kat and I am a current junior at simmons universiy! I am studying accounting and arts administration. I love spending my time in art museums and curating the perfect spotify playlist.