This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Halloween is lurking around the corner and for anyone who loves to be scared, horror movies are a perfect way to celebrate the holiday. Whether you’re a fan of slasher flicks, psychological thrillers, or something in between, there is a movie out there for anyone who likes to be an adrenaline junkie from the comfort of their own homes. Here are some of the best spooky movies to get you in the Halloween spirit:

1. If you like suspense: Hush (2016)

A deaf writer living alone must rely on her wits to outsmart a masked killer who lurks outside her home. There is definitely a heart-pounding thrill that comes from routing for a character who seems to be at a major disadvantage. Although the plot is simple, it effectively builds tension and is an overall satisfying movie to watch.

2. If you like gore: Saw (2004)

The Saw franchise has a reputation for its violent scenes, but there’s more to the movies than just a bunch of blood and guts being spilled. The story starts with two men waking up chained to the floor of a bathroom. They find they are the next victims of a mastermind called “Jigsaw,” who plots a series of sadistic and violent games they have to play if they want to live. You’ll wind up asking yourself what lengths you would go to in order to keep yourself alive.

3. If you like psychological thrillers: Misery (1990) or The Shining (1979)

Choosing the best Stephen King movie is like choosing your favorite pair of shoes. There are so many of them and they all have something different to offer. I cheated on this one and picked two because they are both perfect examples of what a psychological thriller should be. The plot grows increasingly more intense as the movie goes on and will have you on the edge of the seat. Kathy Bates’ performance in Misery is chilling, but nothing is as scary as Jack Nicholson’s eyebrows in The Shining.

4. If you like classics: Psycho (1960)

Psycho is the product of the “Master of Suspense” Alfred Hitchcock, one of the best directors of all time in American cinema. It’s not the iconic shower scene that makes this movie so good, but rather the suspense leading up to the discovery of Norman Bates’ dark, twisted secret.

5. If you like comedy: Tucker and Dale vs Evil  (2010)

If you are a fan of horror movies but often wonder why the characters make the worst decisions, you will enjoy this parody of the typical “college kids in the middle of the woods” horror narrative.

6: If you like drama: The Babadook (2016)

The Babadook is a powerful movie about the devastating effects that grief and loss can have on humans. Amelia, a widowed woman who is mother to a troubled young boy, finds that a seemingly innocent children’s book is actually harboring a sinister creature within its pages.

All gifs courtesy of giphy.com

Simmons College Class of 2019 Public Relations and Marketing Communications