jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Being an Introvert at Simmons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

For those of you who know me, you all know how big of an introvert I can be. Oftentimes, people mistake introverts as being antisocial or socially awkward, but this couldn’t be further from the truth. Introverts may be quiet and selective when it comes to socializing, but they’re usually very interesting once you get to know them. You get to learn more about their creative side as well!

Simmons College is a small institution, which means that the classrooms are smaller and there aren’t as many people as there are in bigger schools (take Boston University or Northeastern, for example). Although I’m an international student and developing solid friendships was initially a struggle for me when I started attending classes, I noticed that it was actually quite easy for me to get along with the majority of the people. Most of the people were very friendly and welcoming, and I really appreciated how they wanted to learn more about me. I thought this was quite nice as this wasn’t really the case at my school back home. After getting to know some of my classmates and even meeting new people who were both Simmons and non-Simmons students, I ended up making a lot of wonderful friends. This helped me become more open towards others, and I noticed this change when I began my sophomore year. Interestingly though, most of the friends I made are introverted like myself. So, I’m glad that I’m on the same page as other people!

I enjoyed attending most of my classes at Simmons. Not only did I learn a lot about the subjects being taught, but I actually felt much more comfortable with participating in some of my classes. I enjoyed discussing certain topics or ideas with the professor, and the learning atmosphere was just amazing. Most of my classes had a small number of people in them, so this made it easier for me to voice my thoughts and ask questions. I had several classes with people whom I became familiar with over time, and this made me become more comfortable with attending these classes. I really liked a lot of my professors as they put in a lot of effort towards helping me with my assignments, giving me advice about exams, and even advising me about summer internships and jobs! I have had a lot of one-on-one sessions with some of my professors, and this helped me learn even more about what I was studying. They were never hesitant towards helping me out, and this is something which I really appreciate.

Overall, I really like the Simmons environment. Everyone is busy doing their own thing, and you really get to be yourself here. No one really bothers with what you do and vice-versa, so this makes being an introvert even more comfortable in this environment. Even if I spend time by myself, I don’t usually feel bad about it. People here give you the space you want and need, so I appreciate that. I hope all the other introverts in Simmons share the same thoughts as I do about attending classes there!

Hi, there! My name is Tanhaz, and I am a Junior at Simmons College. I aspire to be a special-needs teacher in the future! I am a psychology major, and I absolutely love it. I am from Bangladesh, and I've been living in Massachusetts for 2 years ever since I began university. My hobbies include writing, reading, shopping, spending time with close ones and sports (especially volleyball and basketball!). I hope you enjoy reading my articles and please feel free to provide me with your comments/feedback. I hope to hear from you all!