8 Ways to Have Fun on Halloween Besides Going to a Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

If you’re like me, Halloween is a time you dread. Everyone around you is planning on going to a party, but all you want to do is stay in and watch Netflix. But, if you’re also like me, you hate missing out on opportunities to hang out with your friends. Here are some alternate ways to celebrate Halloween if you think you and your friends too cool for the Halloween party scene. 

1. Baking

Even though trick-or-treating seems like a thing of your past, baking is one of the best ways to drown yourself in Halloween candy. It’s also a great way to get your friends together and be creative!

2. Having a scary movie marathon

Who doesn’t love lounging in their leggings, eating a bunch of fun-sized candy and watching a horror movie? Having a movie marathon with friends can bring the fear factor of Halloween right into the comfort of your own home.

3. Story time!

Everyone loves a good scary story. Gather your friends together around a campfire and prepare to be spooked!

4. Ouija Board

Regardless of whether or not you believe in ghosts, using an Ouija board on Halloween is a great way to connect with the ~spirit~ of Halloween.

5. Go on a nighttime adventure 

Pretend you and your friends are on the latest episode of Ghost Adventures! From visiting your neighborhood graveyard to exploring an abandoned building, everyone has the potential to be a Ghostbuster; just make sure to stay safe!

6. Painting party!

Everyone has an inner Bob Ross! Binge eat some Halloween candy and see what amazing creations come out of the sugar high that follows.

7. Flashlight corn maze

Going to a corn maze at night brings together the ambiance of sitting around the campfire with the suspense of watching a horror film. It’s a great way to have a little competition with friends instead of playing an uncomfortable party game.

8. Going apple picking

Going apple picking is one of my favorite fall activities. Around Halloween, the apple picking season is wrapping up so there will be less people picking AND more cider for you and your friends (the most important part, obviously)!

Have fun this Halloween!

Sara Mitchell

Simmons '22

Sara is a freshman studying PR/MarComm and Political Science at Simmons.