This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Yep! It’s that time of the year… FINALS! Whether exams are your best friend or your worst nightmare, it is important to be prepared for whatever is thrown your way. Study hard, but don’t forget to give your mind a break. Rest is just as beneficial for your brain as reviewing is, so here are some easy, and fun study break ideas for however long you need to put the textbook down.

Take a walk

Sitting and studying for hours on end can be so unhealthy for your body. Now, I’m no health major, but I do know how good it is for your body to be active. Get up and move around once in a while. A walk is such a great opportunity to get some exercise while also clearing your head. Or, if you feel like you don’t have the time, go run an errand! Not only do you get to check another thing off your to-do list, but you also get that much needed break.

Draw

Instead of staring at words upon words about how mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell, peel those eyes off your notes, put them in front of a blank piece of paper and draw it instead! Drawing is not only a great way to give your mind a rest from all that reading you may be doing, but it is also another great study tool. Drawing and/or doodling keeps your mind engaged, but in a different way than trying to memorize every single term you learned in your English class. Draw them out! You’ll be surprised when you sit down to take a test and can recall every picture you drew, and suddenly you ace it! If that isn’t your favorite way to study, instead draw whatever your mind can create. You don’t have to be great at it to do it either.

Eat a healthy snack

I may be the only one to experience this phenomenon, but when I get bored, I typically feel pretty hungry. After a few hours of studying I suddenly realize I’ve eaten a whole roll of Oreos. Oops. Instead of junk food being what I automatically pull out as a way to cope with how much work I have, I should be turning to healthier snack options. Grab some fruit, like and apple or orange, or something protein-filled to keep your head in the game.

Stretch

Even though I am not a yoga person in the slightest, I do know how beneficial it is for your body and your mind, and highly recommend it as a study break if you enjoy it. If you’re like me, however, instead of doing yoga, take a few minutes to meditate and stretch your body as a way to ease your brain. Focus on your breathing as you stretch out your tired limbs, especially if you have been sitting for so long on your computer.

Take a shower

It is the perfect way to self care. Taking a hot shower is just another great way to decompress after a long day of hard work. Washing your body can signify washing off the days activities, leaving yourself to feel renewed and ready to begin again the next day. (Personally, I shower in the morning to start my day on a clean note. It also helps to wake me up after hitting snooze 20 times.) Also, steam from showers are also helpful for possible clogged noses and chests you may have if you are sick.

Write

I know what you’re thinking.. Why would you write if you’re already doing that while studying? However, that’s not what I mean. Creative writing is one of the best ways to keep those creative juices flowing, but with a different approach. If you enjoy creative writing, such as composing poetry, journalling or drafting a short story, like me, then this is the perfect study break. You get to use your brain for something other than school work. Plus, you would be so surprised that after writing something that is not academic, it becomes a lot easier to write the final paper that you’ve been dreading. It’s so incredible how our brains work like that!

Tidy/organize

I know that when finals come around, I tend to not be very productive with my slightly messy room. One of my favorite ways to self care is to clean, so what a better way to take a break from studying and tidy up my space. Having an organized area leads to an organized mind. If you feel as though clutter may be taking over, clear it out! It’s your decision if that means for your room or your mind.

Dance

And finally, my personal favorite: a dance break! Set the notes down, pull out some of your favorite dance tunes, and break out your best dance moves. I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t do this outside the comfort of my dorm room, but I’ve still got a good amount of space to wiggle my hips a little bit. Dancing is such a great way to boost your mood and get you out of that finals week slump. If you’ve got a study group of friends, how could you pass up a 10 minute jam session? I highly recommend it.

Remember to stay hydrated during your study periods and don’t forget that the most important breaks are bathroom breaks! I wish you all the luck in the world that you will ace these finals. You got this, baby!

Ellie Faeth

Simmons '22

Ellie Faeth is a junior at Simmons, a social work major and the current Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Simmons. She is a music-lover and enjoys impromptu dance parties. Ellie is very excited to share her thoughts and ideas with the Her Campus at Simmons audience.