7 Powerful Black Leaders I Look Up To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

These are some personal heroes of mine, and why I look up to them. These people motivate me every day and are important parts of black history. Click the picture for a link to their biographies

1. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

I have looked up to the words “I have a dream…” since I was a child. Martin Luther King Jr. is a figure whom I look up to and find strength and compassion in. He inspires me to never give up. Martin Luther King is a leader who persuaded others to fight for what was right. He spent his life fighting against mistreatment and injustice.

1. Rosa Parks

Rosa Parks fought for people who could not raise their voices against mistreatment. She demonstrated that standing up for what’s right and to always keep fighting is what matters. She is known for not giving her seat at the front of the bus up and being arrested for that. After her arrest, she spent her time rallying for the rights of people of color. It is inspiring that she suffered so that people of color everywhere could have equal rights. Check out our article about Rosa parks here!

1. Malcolm X

Malcolm X was someone who in the hardest of times voiced his opinion and helped others keep their strength and passions alive. I look up to him for inspiration to help others when they do not the strength to keep going.  

4. Maya Angelou

Angelou is known for her book “Why the Caged Bird Sings.”  When I read that book and realized how harsh life was for her. Her book truly allowed me to put myself into Angelou’s shoes and see the hardships she faced. In this book, she discusses challenges she faced as a woman of color such as harassment, isolation, and anxiety.

5. Barack Obama

Obama, our first African American president, to me is the depiction of change in our country. Obama advocated for rights for all, and equality among all during his eight years as president of the United States, and continues that fight today even though his term has ended.  

6.Harriet Tubman

Tubman helped individuals survive the hardest times, providing shelter to those in danger. I admire her selflessness to help other people, and her efforts to free slaves. She did her all to feed everyone and provide for them so they would not give up their strength during their escapes.    

7. Michelle Obama

Michelle Obama is one of my personal heroes. In recent years she has made so much change and has implemented education policy for children. I admire her because of her devotion and passion to help. She has started multiple fundraisers and educational programs for those who could not afford to go to school, as well as various other efforts as well.

Student at Simmons University