gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Reasons Why it’s Totally Okay to be in a Relationship in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

So congratulations, you’re probably in college. It’s hard work. Are you in a relationship? I am too. Many people say that an important part of your college experience is to explore and have ‘fun’ – especially in the dating department. That’s totally fine! But let’s be honest, if you and your partner are happy relationship, then live your best lives! Here are 5 reasons why you shouldn’t let anyone else’s opinions matter when it comes to your relationship.

1. You always have someone to rely on.

It can be hard to make friends in college, and it’s very easy to get stressed in this environment. So naturally, being in a relationship can mean you that always have someone there to support and care about you! Whether your S.O (significant other) lives at your school or a school across the country, you know you have a built-in best friend to vent to and share stories with.

2. You always have a study buddy.

I know when I’m feeling particularly stressed about school, I text my S.O. and plan a study date. I know I’ll feel much more relaxed with their help and that they will push me to be my very best. Cuddles and movie nights may be rewarded if you do a particularly good job with homework too!

3. You always have motivation.

Whether it’s counting down the days to go visit them or waiting a few hours before a sleepover, it still encourages you to get work done so the time goes by faster! Plus, if you and your S.O. are planning a life together post-college, you’ll feel motivated to do your very best to have a great life with them!

4. They can keep you grounded.

College is a time for you to change and grow as a person. You can also fall into some very difficult situations. Your S.O. will always be there to keep you grounded and remember what’s truly important. Their opinion is very important considering they probably know you better than most people do.

5. They’re here to love and support you.

Sure you both have a steady amount of work, but you always find time to spend with them and they’ll always make you feel special and loved! Try to have weekly or bi weekly date nights!

And remember, you don’t need to listen to anyone else’s judgements on your relationship. As long as you and your partner are happy and healthy then that’s all that matters!

Kelly Biondo

Simmons '19

Hi! I'm Kelly and I'm a senior at Simmons University studying PR/MarComm. I am the social media director for Her Campus Simmons and couldn't be happier. In my free time, I walk dogs for Wag, procrastinate or I'm out exploring Boston. Follow me on Instagram @kelllybiondo to see what I'm up to!