5 Places of African American Empowerment in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

February marks a wonderful time of the year where the month is dedicated to Black history and empowerment to celebrate such a vibrant culture with incredible rich history. While the month is dedicated, the entire year is a great time to educate yourself further and commemorate the countless courageous acts of historical African American figures and people who played a role in impacting society. Below are some amazing stops you could make while exploring the city.

1. African Meeting House

The location where Frederick Douglass gave his speech against slavery in the 1800’s

46 Joy St, Boston, MA 02114

2. Museum of African American History

This museum includes amazing art, talks, tours of Beacon Hill, tons of rich history and frequent events open to everyone all year round.

46 Joy St, Boston, MA 02114

3. Black Heritage Trail

This is a fantastic option for when you want to get out and be on the move while learning about black history. The Museum of African American History hosts free walking tours throughout the season. In addition, if you find you want to take a tour out of season or want to navigate it yourself, another great option is to download the audio version of the tour and start exploring yourself. The tour features important stops such as the Massachusetts 54th Regiment Memorial all the way to the African Meeting House listed above.

4. Black Community Info Center

516 Warren St, Dorchester, MA 02121

This is a fantastic resource for how to get involved in the greater Boston community currently, with tons of events, initiatives and organizations taking place, it is a worthwhile stop. In addition, they have their own radio for on the go tuning in.

5. Coming Soon: MLK Memorial

The MLK Boston website states: “MLK Boston is a new non-profit working closely with the City of Boston to bring a world-class permanent installation commemorating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s and Coretta Scott King’s legacy to Boston, and to sponsor local events and discussions to bring their words to life. With all that is going on in our nation today, we need the wisdom of the Kings right now. It is time again to revisit the work of Coretta Scott King and read Dr. King’s speeches and writings about racial equality, immigrant rights, war, economic fairness, and many other issues about social justice.”

Header image courtesy of Journal Times.