Anna Schultz-Girl Sitting On Bed Facing Wall
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Style > Decor

5 Dorm Decorating Surprises to Look Out For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

The school year is starting, and that means it’s time to move into a new space and do what you can to make it feel less like a cinderblock room built decades ago and instead like a place you can comfortably call “home.” But what do you do when your dorm room turns out to be different than what you expected? Here are some things to keep in mind when decorating your dorm. 

Be mindful of room dimensions

That area rug may seem like the perfect thing to tie your room together, but will it even fit in your room? Hold off on buying any larger items that may be dependent on having a certain amount of space. Once you’ve moved in, you can take the measurements and determine if what you’re thinking about getting (a) fits in your room and (b) fits comfortably in your room. You don’t want to spend the next several months bumping into those shelves over and over again.

Be prepared to change your room layout

This one goes hand-in-hand with the last point, but it’s important nonetheless! You may have one wall that juts out a bit more, or maybe your space is so tight that you have to loft your bed. The key to having a cute and comfortable dorm is definitely flexibility.

Research room code violations

If you’ve been on Pinterest, you may notice an abundance of tapestries and fairy lights, but are you allowed to have those? Do some research into what you can and can’t bring to your school before spending your money on those items. All schools are different! Just because your friend at a different school covered her room in tapestries, doesn’t necessarily mean that you can.

Know how to organize your clothes

This may seem obvious, but it is worth taking into consideration! I personally have been in a situation where I brought a bunch of hangers to hang up all of my clothes only to open the closet and see that it was all shelves! When you’re packing, think about the different ways you could organize your clothes, and be flexible. Have a backup plan in mind before moving in, and figure out what is the cleanest and most accessible way to arrange your closet.

Make your room feel like YOU!

I know, the off-white walls don’t look nearly as cute in Instagram photos as they would if they were just white. Or maybe you don’t like the look of the boring floor. Regardless of your situation, there are some easy ways to spice up your room! Maybe your family has an old rug you could borrow to cover up the stained floor, or maybe your idea for a poster wall can cover up some imperfections. Either way, this is where you’ll be staying for the majority of the year. Make it a place you want to be!

Julia Hansen is a senior at Simmons studying PR/Marketing Communications and English with minors in cinema, media arts, and graphic design. When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found reading every book she can find, retweeting photos of dogs and binge-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Find her on IG @juliarosehansen