Why YOU Should Be Listening to Charlie Puth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Ever since he was featured in the movie Fast and Furious 7 with the song “See You Again,” Charlie Puth has been a rising musician. Besides winning numerous awards for the song, he has been on several tours including his Voicenotes tour this summer with Hailee Steinfeld. He’s also been on Spotify and Apple Music’s “Today’s Top Hits” playlists.

Here are 6 reasons why YOU should be listening to his music:

1. He is SUPER relatable.

Via GIPHY

He has had many heartbreaks and his songs are perfect if you’re going through a breakup or are having relationship issues. Puth uses music as a way to communicate how he feels when he’s going through a difficult situation. People can relate to Charlie’s music because he shows lots of emotions through his lyrics….but you might be thinking who would ever break this man’s heart? Two of his famous love interests that he has written songs about are Selena Gomez and Bella Thorne.

2. His music is different.

Via GIPHY

Charlie has songs that are more on the chill side while others are upbeat.You can’t get sick of it unless you listen to it 24/7. Some of my faves from his new album are “Slow It Down,” “BOY” and “Change.” The oldies I love are “Dangerously,” “One Call Away” and “Some Type Of Love.” They’re all diverse so you can play his music whether you’re studying or jamming out.

3. He has perfect pitch.

Via GIPHY

Some singers are so auto-tuned these days that they sound wayyy different during a live performance. Charlie Puth has perfect pitch which means that his voice is just as good, if not better when he’s singing in concert. (I personally think he sounds even better live than he does online.)

4. Puth co-writes/co-produces songs with other artists.

Via GIPHY

Besides being a talented singer, he also has co-written/co-produced many other famous songs. A few are: “Slow Motion” by Trey Songz, “Bedroom Floor” by Liam Payne and “Lips on You” by Maroon 5.

5. He’s a musical genius.

Via GIPHY

With his musical engineering degree from Berklee College of Music, writing and producing songs are just a couple of the things Charlie does. He sings melodies into a voice memo app when one pops into his head and then mixes them later on in his dream car (an Aston Martin) before creating the lyrics.

6. He is currently thriving.

Via Instagram

Despite all the breakup songs, it looks like his next album might be about falling in love. Charlie and his current girlfriend, Halston Sage, have pretty much made their relationship official from all the cute posts and stories on Instagram. It goes to show that people can get through rough breakups, focus on what they enjoy and find love again.

All these reasons, plus being cute?  You should definitely go check out his music on ​Spotify right now.

Via Twitter

Nikki Gazdik is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. She studied Accounting during her time at Siena.