Why Thanksgiving Shouldn’t be Overlooked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Don’t let the title of this piece confuse you; I am just as excited about Christmas movies and winter break as everybody else! While I obviously admire the holiday season, including treasured traditions, snowy weather, and quality time with my family; Christmas is not the only holiday which provides such wonderful elements. That’s right, it’s time for Thanksgiving!

Mason Jars Dinner Party
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

Many of my friends transition immediately from spooky season to Christmas festivities, but there’s so much in between that you could be missing out on! For those who view Thanksgiving as the holiday of eating, though that’s definitely a perk, there are so many more advantages to getting into the thankful spirit! 

Thanksgiving is a time to step back from our busy lives and to appreciate everything we have before us. The most beautiful part is that each and every one of us has different reasons to be thankful, and we realize exactly how fortunate we truly are. Though we may take for granted the opportunities we have been presented, and the amazing relationships we formed with all of the people we love, this is our chance to say, “You know what? I am so lucky to be where I am right now, and to have the things that I need”. 

One of my most cherished traditions for this holiday season is taking a moment every day leading to Thanksgiving to write something I am thankful for. There are many variations of this common tradition, whether it is on a feather for a paper turkey, a fruit for a paper cornucopia, or a paper leaf. Regardless of the method you or your family decide to use, the idea is always the same: to have numerous reasons to be thankful by the time Thanksgiving arrives. 

For those of you who may be missing home during the Thanksgiving season, don’t fret; Thanksgiving extends beyond blood relations, and that means it’s time to celebrate Friendsgiving! If this is an unfamiliar term to you, Friendsgiving is a time to celebrate just how fortunate you and your friends are to have each other. This allows all of you to cherish your friendship, and all the times that you have been able to rely on each other. So, bring on the food and friends! Friendsgiving dinners can be just as fun and significant as a family Thanksgiving tradition, and are arguable equally important. In both cases, the important thing to remember is we are all surrounded by those we love, and people who love us as well. 

Girls Night Dinner Party
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

As soon as Thanksgiving has passed, and our thankful paper turkeys are full of reasons to be grateful, our hearts will be just as full of love. So, before you settle into your red and green fuzzy socks to watch a Christmas movie, take some time to appreciate Thanksgiving and all the things it stands for. (Then, enjoy your movie and turn on some Christmas lights!)

eat what makes you happy neon sign on brick wall
Photo by Jon Tyson from Unsplash

Avery is a senior Economics major, with minors in Business and French, at Siena College. Naturally, being from Massachusetts, she’s a big fan of the Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics and Patriots! Some of her favorite things include hiking and adventuring with her friends.