Why I Love Being a Spin Instructor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Gif Source

My entire life I struggled to find a form of exercise that I genuinely enjoyed. I struggled with my weight and loving to eat (WHO doesn’t tho?). Freshman year of college I reached the highest weight I had ever been at and, naturally, I was soooo upset. I didn’t know how to fix it, but after returning back for sophomore year, one of my friends at the time invited me to go with her to spin. Ummm what? I knew I would probably HATE it, but I went anyway because my parents told me I’d probably like it. Next thing I knew, my butt was on a bike and I was questioning how I ended up there!?

Image by Author

Here’s a secret though: after five minutes in the saddle, I was HOOKED. Between the music, the heart pumping energy, and the soulful talk from the instructor, I loved it. I knew there was no turning back. Soon enough I had bought a membership and tried to never miss an opportunity to be on the bike. I was always in the front row of every class, singing along and yelling with the instructor. By the time I was junior, I was asked to be an instructor. This is still the best compliment and opportunity I could’ve asked for. Coming from a girl who HATED exercise in the past and struggled with my own body image, I got to teach spin. It was the best thing in the world. After this, I trained my entire junior year. I went and trained in different instructor’s classes and got their feedback on how to improve or make my teaching better and then come my senior year, I am teaching my own class.

It is the best way to start my Thursdays. Teaching a room of people who want to be motivated by me? It’s such an inspiring job. I get to build people up and help them get the best workout possible while singing and cheering up front. I get to connect with clients and they look up to me for inspiration and motivation throughout their ride. This is the best compliment I could’ve ever asked for and I’m so blessed and grateful that I get to do it every week. Obviously, it takes a lot of hard work and it’s a learning experience of what fits and what doesn’t fit well with the clients in my class, but overall it’s the most empowering thing I’ve ever gotten to do. The music, the energy, being on stage on a bike while yelling how strong my clients are and how great they are, makes me more confident a person both in my body image and who I am. And hey if you’re interested, I teach at 7:15 a.m. on Thursday at The Revolution in Loudonville!

Image by Author

Check them out at myrevnow.com, we’re the world’s largest cycling studio in Upstate NY!

Living every day to the fullest and trying to change the world