bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

What Motivates Me to Go to the Gym Now That I Am Not a High School Athlete

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Working out and staying in shape in high school was very easy when you were a three season athlete. Engraved into your daily routine was always two hours set aside for practice, which consisted of conditioning and working hard. There was never a reason to go to an actual gym when six days a week you were working out and having fun while doing it. 

In college, there isn’t that set time everyday to go to practice and stay in shape. On top of the school work, socializing with friends, and any other obligations you have, you now need to find time to go to the gym. Finding that motivation can be extremely hard especially when all you want to do in lay in bed and watch Netflix once you’re done with your school work. 

Gif Source

The biggest thing that motivates me to go to the gym is how good it makes me feel after completing a workout. One of my biggest mottos is “good vibes only.” However, with the stress of being a biochemistry major, it can be challenging to keep that positive mindset. When school and life get too stressful, my favorite thing to do is to go to the gym to clear my head. Being able to release all that stress is so important to me and is one of the biggest reasons I go to the gym. Nothing beats the feeling of being refreshed after going to the gym.

My life in high school revolved around sports and always focusing on one goal: to win the game. This fueled my determination to always search for my next goal. Going to the gym is all about setting mini goals to achieve. Wanting to reach my goal weight, lifting five pounds heavier; or even just running on the treadmill for a minute longer. These are all challenges I set for myself that makes me want to go to the gym. For me, every time I go to the gym it’s an accomplishment in my mind. Being able to say I successfully achieved those personal goals I set for myself is the best feeling ever. 

No matter what is going on in my day, I always try and find time to go to the gym. Going to the gym is so beneficial for not only your physical health, but your mental health as well. We all know how hard it is to find time for yourself, let alone the gym, but once you find what motivates you to get up and go work out the results of your overall health will be amazing. 

Gif Soucre

Diana Locoteta is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Biochemistry.