This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

I love working in retail and have learned so much! Here’s a few things I have learned so far! 

Customer Service 

I’d say the most important thing I have learned working in retail is how to alter your customer service for each cutsomer. Each customer is different and everyone has their own idea of the perfect shopping experience. Some people love to shop one on one with an associate and have us help them pick everything out, others just like to keep to themselves and have an independant shopping trip. Both are completely find and I now know, how to determine which type of shopper each customer is. 

Numbers 

From a shopping point of view, I would have never guessed how many important numbers stores have to keep track of: the ratio of how many people come in and actually buy stuff, the average dollar amount of a sale, the amount of items in a sale and various sales goals per hour. Obviously it is important for stores to have sales, but I didn’t realise how many other numbers were factored into each one. 

Promos

Promos and discounts in stores are constantly changing. A lot of times asociates and store managers don’t know when the promotions are going to change untill the day of. I find it really interesting how quickly they can change and how efficiently stores adapt to the changes.  

Rewards Accounts

Notice how pretty much every store has some sort of rewards program? They are actually really important for stores. The amount of customers that stores get to sign up for a rewards or a credit program is a crucial component in the stores daily numbers. 

If you are thinking about working in retail, my advice is GO FOR IT!  I love my job in retail, I have so much fun at work and learn so much!  

Emily is a senior Marketing student at Siena College. She loves being outdoors or doing anything with her friends, family or dog.