What to Bring Back to School & What’s Better Left At Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

As winter break comes to a close, we find ourselves back at Siena where the average temperatures for January and February vary with a high of 35 degrees to a chilly low of 15 degrees. Yikes! This doesn’t even account for wind chill and thus, as every girl wonders when coming back, what do you pack to bring back? What should you run to pick up from the mall or send back home? Being totally real here, everyone’s standards for what counts as “cold” vary greatly on a campus where we have students from places such as Canada to as south as Brazil. Even the standards of someone from upstate New York contrast with someone who grew up on Long Island. While one may stick to wearing a light jacket the other may be ready to whip out their favorite parka; however, there really are just some essential things this expectedly longer winter will demand.

1.     Bring: Layers, layers, layers!

This one should be an obvious answer but for some reason I feel like a lot of girls forget the benefit of having thinner pieces they can layer on. Yes, the baggy sweaters are a must, but when you get to an overheated classroom, you may want an in between besides stripping down to your camisole. T-shirts, thinner cardigans to place over, and lighter jackets are all necessities that you shouldn’t overlook having in your closet this semester.

2.     Leave: Impractical shoes

Yes. You can survive without that pair of flats or your favorite pair of converse. You can have a pair of nice heels but do you really need multiple? Snow, or at least sleet, is inevitable this winter and considering you lose a large amount of body heat via your feet, it might be worth your while to just stick to sturdier, warmer pairs of shoes. The quality should also always trump the quantity so make sure these boots won’t start to fall apart at the seams. A higher cost pair that you know will carry onto next winter beats two pairs that look raggedy midway through March. Plus a fewer amount of fashionable, yet durable shoes will make it easier to decide what to wear.

3.     Bring: Hot foods for your dorm

Their will be days when we hit the single digits and those of us who do not live in a Town House or New Hall will struggle with the decision if we want to trek to Saga or Casey’s for food. Without a doubt there will be below zero nights, awake cramming for a test, that midnight munchies strike. The best option you can have in this instance is that of food you can heat up in your own microwave. Not just the typical ramen or instant mac & cheese but some healthier options as well, like broths or a hardy soup. Keeps you warm and you won’t mindlessly munch as you study away.

4.     Leave: The Pile of Junk Food

Oh so tempting for the convenience, but really not worth it in the long run. I know, we all have our favorite chips or cookies that we want to keep on hand. Even more tempting if the weather gets really horrible and you just want to snuggle in bed with that bag of Doritos, but these types of food provide you with nothing that you need. The cold will cause your body to burn more calories to keep warm thus a few hundred more calories isn’t going to kill you but don’t overdo it. Eat foods that give you vitamins and minerals, nutrients that your body can use to stay healthy. Snacks that mainly provide sodium and saturated fat will leave you feeling sluggish and less motivated over all.

5.     Bring: Extra Moisturizer

With winter comes the inevitable dryness that is associated with it. Moisturizer is key to fighting parched skin, cracking lips, and dehydrated hair that come with the chilly climate. Always have multiple chap sticks on hand (because I know I’m not the only one to constantly lose those things) and body butter isn’t a half bad investment if you want to really lock in the moisture. Maybe you already know to bring these more typical moisturizers; but I strongly urge you to also look into hair products that will give your locks extra protection against the harsh cold. Excessive breakage happens in the winter and when the ends start to split, it can follow up the hair strand. If you plan on keeping your current hair length (or go longer), you want to keep the hair as healthy as possible and protect it from the elements.

6.     Leave: Excessive amounts of Nail Polish

Between never really having an occasion for open toed shoes and the possibility of constantly having to wear gloves, do you really need more than 3 nail polishes? A majority of the time in the winter, your feet and hands are covered by shoes and gloves thus, this time away from home does not warrant your entire collection. Bringing a clear coat, a neutral color, and maybe one fun color because seriously, do you really need three shades of blue or silver and gold sparkles?

7.     Bring: Professional Clothing (No matter your year)

Just because it’s cold doesn’t mean opportunities won’t come knocking! I imagine that the upperclassmen most likely know to bring at least one semi-professional outfit but even Sophomores and Freshmen should make room in their jacket stuffed closets for this occasion aimed outfit. Even if you think you will never need that pencil skirt or blazer, better safe than sorry right? Not a bad idea to also bring tights if you do find yourself wearing that really cute professional skirt despite the cold as a means to dress to impress.

8.     Leave: Any Spring/Summer clothes

By Spring/Summer clothes, I primarily mean those cute pieces that you will stare at wistfully in your closet, unable to wear until, at earliest, April.  This category includes sundresses, capris, shorts, tanktops (unless you can layer them), beach wear etc. Just because you have these items in your closet doesn’t mean it will get warmer any quicker, unfortunately. Plus, you will have plenty of opportunity to swap out your heavier winter clothes for these pieces come Easter break. Enjoy the winter fashion while it’s here and rejoice when seasons change but don’t hold your breath because you are going to college in the North East where the cold is inevitable.

Christina Schultz is a Siena College Class of 2020 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Economics..