This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

It’s a cult classic with great music, giant lips, and men in heels. What else is there to ask for? Shadow casts of the Rocky Horror Picture Show always pop up around Halloween time and are a great getaway with your friends from all the midterm stress. If you’ve never been to a shadow cast or maybe are confused as to what to expect, the movie is broadcasted up on a big screen with actors in real life acting it out in front of you at the same time. Just think of the scene from The Perks of Being a Wallflower!

Image Source

If you’ve never been before, in the Rocky Horror world, you’re a virgin and might get some kind of initiation depending on the size of the venue you’re going to. Don’t be too scared, though! Here are some things I wish I knew when I saw it for the first time a year ago.

How to Dress

Here’s an easy one – dress absolutely however you want! This is one of the most judgement-free zones you could ever go to. Some people show up in immaculate costumes as characters from the movie, some dress up in whatever outfit makes them feel attractive or interesting, and some just show up in jeans and a t-shirt! There is no wrong way to be dressed to go see Rocky Horror. Just be yourself!

What to Bring

If you’ve never been before, you might not know about how messy a theatre can get after a showing of this movie, since there’s a lot of props involved with the audience. Some of the typical things you can expect are confetti, toilet paper, newspaper, toast, party hats…the list goes on. However, many venues like The Palace Theatre in Albany sell prop bags right as you go in so that you have everything you need. These are much better than bringing your own props from home, because they’ll often come with a handy cheat sheet that tells you how to use your props and at what part in the show. This is a great choice for the virgins in the crowd or for those of us who haven’t quite memorized every part of the show quite yet. No one wants to be the guy who throws the toilet paper too early! Do some research on where you’re seeing the show and what they have for you to buy. 

How to Yell Along

This is a really tough part when you’re not too familiar with the show or at least seeing it live. My best advice? Hold off unless you feel like you have a good grasp on what’s going on and where to yell, and just enjoy laughing along and hearing that extra part as you start to get familiar. And it never hurts to sing along to your favorite songs! But if you want to yell along, just listen to what’s going on and join in on the fun! The easiest place to start, of course, is knowing that whenever Brad and Janet introduce themselves to other people: after Brad, everyone yells “Asshole!” and Janet is always “Slut!” There are scripts online that have more detailed versions of what people yell along, but I find that it can be a little distracting from what’s going on to try and follow along with a script. 

That’s really all you need to know, because half the fun is just accepting the world around you for what it is and throwing yourself into it! Just make sure you brush up on your time warp so that you’re ready to get up and dance.

Image Source

If you’ve never seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show live before, but have always wanted to, any Rocky Horror veteran would tell you the same thing: don’t dream it, be it! 

Carli Scolforo is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. She double majored in English and Communications with a Journalism track during her time at Siena.