jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Tips on How to Make Your Long Distance Relationship Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder…

Image Source

Long distance relationships are hard. Whether its a few hours away, a few states away or even a semester abroad in another country, it feels like we’re light-years away from our significant others. My boyfriend and I have made the most of our distance. As much as being we love being together we have to be apart. Between flights and holiday visits, we created our own little routine to help us feel more connected to each other. Here’s some of my little tips to help all those ladies going the distance with their partners. 

Image Source

FaceTime only once or twice a week. We have all this technology at our fingertips. We can video chat anybody at any time we want. However, if you start video chatting all the time, it takes away the excitement of seeing your partner. Keep a little mystery alive and schedule FaceTime calls when you both have time.

Image Source

Always talk about your day whether it was good or bad. Good communication is a key part of the foundation in a good relationship. Your partner will want to hear everything you did that day. Even if you had a sucky day, it’s good to have someone who cares about you offer up advice or even just listen to you. 

Image Source

Take a day where you only text for an hour. We’re always on our phones whether it’s texting or scrolling through social media. Sometimes we just need a break. Only text your partner for an hour so they can crave your attention then miss you afterwards. After you stop texting, your partner will undoubtedly be thinking of you for the rest of the night. 

Image Source 

Send care packages. Everyone loves getting packages in the mail. Sending a little personalized package to your partner will make them feel special and show them how much you care about your relationship. It doesn’t need to be full of expensive or extravagant gifts. My last care package to my boyfriend had a bobble head for his desk, a jar full of handwritten notes, a sweatshirt, a new watch, a model fighter jet, pictures and small items that remind me of him. Thoughtfulness and attention to what your partner likes will make your girlfriend of the year. However don’t stress yourself out by overthinking it. 

Source Image

Continue being intimate with each other. Phone sex will be a bridge to continue intimacy. If you’re intimate with your partner, sometimes having less access to them can be frustrating. We all have needs and it’s fun to take your partner off guard and give them a little sexy time. Phone sex can be intimidating and awkward if you’ve never done it before. However those quirky and awkward moments will make you and your partner closer. You can even indulge a little and buy some lingerie to send some steamy teaser pics before you do the act. Your partner will be hot and bothered in anticipation for what’s to come. Just find what’s right for you and the rest will come naturally. 

Image Source

Have a “movie night”. Pick a movie for the two of you to watch and talk about it. You can watch the movie together over FaceTime almost as if you two were sitting there watching it together. If there’s a time difference or schedule conflicts watch it individually then talk about what you liked or didn’t like after. 

Image Source

Always say good morning and goodnight. This piece of advice is the most important out of all of them. It shows your appreciation for your partner at the beginning of the day and the end of the day. Closing your day with a simple “goodnight” helps strengthen the bond between the two of you as express you’re each others’ last thought at the end of the day.

Image Source

Following these tips will help enhance your long distance relationship. However it may take time for you and your partner to fall into a routine. Every relationship is different and has its own dynamic. Once you get your routine down it will help close the distance between the two of you and strengthen your bond. Before you know it, you’ll be able to see your significant other again.Then you can sit back, enjoy each other’s company and my personal favorite…grab a cheeseburger.

Miranda Almodavar is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. She studied Creative Arts during her time at Siena.