The Lalaholding Beaker
The Lalaholding Beaker
Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Whenever I tell people that my major is biochemistry they all give me the same reaction, why are you doing this to yourself. Honestly, I love it. For most of my life I have thought about doing is helping people. When I was younger, I experienced something very traumatic and no one person could understand what I was going through, so I want to be that person for others. When I entered high school, I found a passion for science and decided to continue that in college to pursue my goal of becoming a doctor. Yes, being a BioChem major is very difficult and intense but I have so many people that support me and help me through it. 

Freshman year, first semester, I was so nervous because I was taking General Biology and General Chemistry. After a few weeks I started to get into the swing of things, and I realized that my professors are very helpful. In order to succeed in this major, you must put in the work outside of class by working on your own and going to office hours. Even if you do not have specific questions for your professor it is so helpful just to go and listen to other students questions or do practice problems. Now I am in my spring semester of sophomore year, I’m taking Organic Chemistry, Genetics, Physics, and Psychology. Yes, it is a lot, but I stick to my habits from freshman year by putting in work outside of the classroom. At times it is very overwhelming and I do get discouraged, I’m not gonna lie. When it gets hard I remind myself that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. 

Gif Source

Outside of the classroom, you need an outlet. Being a science major can be very overwhelming at times, so finding a fun club or activity to do that you enjoy is a great outlet. Going to the gym or even just going for a walk can be a great break from all those equations. Your brain can only handle so much, so my advice is to get involved in some other activity. Personally, I like to go to the gym, dance, and write articles for Her Campus Siena. Being apart of the dance has been one of the most rewarding out of the classroom experiences. I get to cheer on my fellow classmates at games, it is a joy to be apart of. Her Campus Siena articles help me express myself, and get all of my emotions out in a healthy manner. Being apart of a team and club helps you get involved and forget about the stress of chem and bio.

Gif Source

All science majors are stressful, but when you have supportive friends, family, and a motivation where you let nothing get in the way, then you can do it! Everyone feels discouraged at times, and that’s okay as long as you pick yourself up and keep going. Self care is very important to being successful in this area and most importantly, being positive. I hope these tips are helpful and keep you pushing through your major!

Sophie Eisenbach is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. She studied Biochemistry during her time at Siena.