Things To Do To INSPIRE Your Life and Make You Happy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

It’s hard to be inspired by life constantly when it seems like there is nothing inspirational to help you through it. Life can suck, trust me I know. What do I say to that? Be your own inspiration.

The key to life is to do what makes you happy. No one but yourself can make you the happiest and make life worthwhile. It is easy to get lost in life, so many things going on around you. Maybe you are in school and the work is hard, maybe family life isn’t so great, maybe you hate your job. Everything becomes a battle and it’s tiring. We tend to lose ourselves in what we have to do and what we have to deal with, instead of what we want. So, make yourself happy, do what you want and don’t lose sight of it. Need some help? Well, I’ve got some ideas for you.

Buy a cute notebook (I am a sucker for a cute notebook) and use it to write. What do you write?

Start off with the very first page as soon as you open the book. Write the title “what I want to do” and underline the word I and want. Here, make a list of things that you want to do but have never gotten around to doing. Make a list of things that would make you happy. Maybe you stopped doing something you really used to enjoy. Write it down so you know you want to go back to it. It could be sewing more, maybe you haven’t picked up a needle in a while and want to make a scarf for the winter coming up. It could also be as simple as cleaning out that dresser you have that is so messy. The point is to write a list of things that make you feel calm, happy, excited and lively. Things you want to do in the future and, even better, things you are scared to do! Why? Because then it’s written down and not just in your head.

So, when you are having a bad day, or a bad week or something not so great happened, open this notebook and do something on your list and cross it off! In a time of stress, it’s okay to relax and make yourself feel better. Feeling better helps us handle life better.

Here is my list:

You can see I already crossed off “rock a red lip” (thank you Halloweekend). It’s a simple want, but I feel like red lips do not look great on me. But for Halloween, I dressed up as Catwoman and wore my red lip with confidence!

I also have other simple things like “buy my dog a new bone,” seeing him happy will make me happy! Or write more stories. I used to loooovveee writing fictional stories, but I have really lost my touch for writing them and I want to get back into it because it was a stress-reliever and something I LOVED. The point is…get into things you love, inspire yourself to do things!

Make a vision board!

Image source

This board is where you can also put your wants. The board is for everything, your present and your future! What do you want as a career? A doctor? Put a picture of a doctor up on your board! Do you want to be happy? Put a smiley face on it? Plan on having a family? Put it on there. I know on my vision board there will be ten pictures of dogs because I want A LOT of them when I get older. This is your board, put anything you want. Be inspired by your board, put your goals and aspirations as something to work towards and be inspired to get there. This is for you to look at and want to get. Make it how you want.

Self-care days!  

It is SO important to take care of yourself, so… every once in a while give yourself a spa day. Take a bath with a bath bomb or bubbles, get your eyebrows done, maybe even your nails. Now I know this costs money, so instead at home, put on a face mask (you can find ones for three bucks at Walmart). Lay in bed, listen to some music and just relax. Maybe give your hair a deep condition so it is extra smooth!. Put on those fuzzy socks and drink hot cocoa! It doesn’t matter how you use your self-care days, just take them! Maybe you like adventure, go on a hike to clear your mind. Always take care of your mind, body and soul.

Surround yourself with positivity!

Image source:

Follow accounts on Instagram that post inspiring quotes, be around friends who support your dreams and goals, don’t waste your energy on things that are just not worth it! Remember to always see the good in life and the beauty. Even on hard days, find something to be inspired by.

Always push to inspire yourself because you will push yourself to reach them! Remember, dream big, and reach it even bigger!

Alexis Santiago is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Psychology.