Things All Psych Majors Are Tired of Hearing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Whichever major you have, there are things you hear all the time. Here are some of the most common statements that we psych majors hear:

Image source

Are you going to be a therapist?

Image source

Actually, there are many different career paths that someone with a psych degree can take.

What can you even do with a bachelor’s degree in psychology?

Being psych majors, we gain various skills, which includes everything from writing and researching to understanding others’ emotions and motivations. Believe it or not, the skills we are equipped with are applicable to a vast range of experiences post-graduation.

Can you explain X behavior?  

Image source 

All I have to say is that we can make our best guess, but are not yet qualified to interfere in this way.

You probably know all about X behavior/cognitive process/brain area because you’re a psych major.

Image source

Like in any focused area of a subject, there are entire dissertations and textbooks written about all of the questions you have. So really, I don’t know all about anything yet.

In all honesty, I don’t find it super irritating that people say these things to me. However, I’m only speaking for myself and we psych majors do seem to hear the same questions frequently. 

Thumbnail Image Source