Taylor Swift’s “The Man” Music Video Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

!!! SPOILER ALERT !!!

Lover Album Cover
Taylor Swift / Instagram

I have to say, I was really confused watching Taylor Swift’s new music video. I was ready for a kick-ass feminist video featuring women being “the man.” I thought Taylor Swift would be the lead, and taking on a traditional male role and being the boss that she is. So when it featured a “man” doing a traditional male role, while women succumb to fighting over the loose opportunities of a man’s job to prove themselves (as you can see in the office scene), it just didn’t fit my vision.

It made no sense that she would sing a song about being “the man,” while showing a man doing exactly what they do all the time. It didn’t go with the song, nor Taylor Swift.

To say in the least, I was shocked when they showed Swift actually being transformed into “the man” at the end of the video!

In honor of this magnificent music video, here’s my top moments of the music video!

The Tennis Scene

It was too funny seeing Taylor Swift in her director’s chair, saying “Uh, could you try to be sexier? Maybe more likable this time?”

So many women are told to sexier and look good for men, and always be likable. It was so funny to watch a man get told this!

The Subway Scene

First off, the “Missing: If Found Return to Taylor Swift” surrounded by her past albums that are currently owned by Big Machine Records and Scooter Braun. Second off, the “No scooters” sign was too funny. I didn’t get it at first until I saw some fan accounts on Facebook explaining it, but since then, it’s literally genius!

Also, did anyone else notice the Mr. Americana poster? Staring TYLER Swift and premiering at Mandance? Iconic.

The Word “Karma” Written Twice in the Same Subway Scene

When “the man” (a.k.a. Taylor Swift) pees on the subway wall, it spelled out “The Man,” but as it drips down the wall it seems to spell out “This May.” Many fans are speculating we might be getting Reputation Part 2, possibly called Karma this upcoming May. I’d be totally fine with that. So let’s hope it’s true!!!

The Supposed Kayne Shade

The scene where “the man” is getting out of bed from clearly a one night stand, appeared similarly to the Kayne West “Famous” video, which Taylor Swift (among other celebrities) appeared naked upon Kayne West and Kim Kardashian West.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a Kayne and a Scooter shade in the video, but it honestly makes the video even better. This scene also goes with the bridge of the song.

Overall, if you haven’t watch Taylor Swift’s new video, you better go watch it! Here! I’ll make it easier for you! Here’s the link!

Alyssa Guzman is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she Double Majored in English and Communications Journalism with a minor in Writing and Communications.