St. Paddy’s Day Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

St. Patrick’s Day is notorious for its parades and loads of drunken merriment.  In light of the upcoming celebrations, here are some tips to make sure you’re festive and fully functioning when the day comes.

Eat a festive meal.

Try some Irish soda bread, corned beef hash or even snag a green bagel from somewhere local. Your stomach is going to need some food so why not make it festive?

Throw on green.

Dress festive, It’s a holiday afterall! If you don’t have much green throw on a neutral color and pick up some accessories. I typically get some green beads and improvise. Dollar stores are awesome at carrying holiday gear.  Check out 5 Below or Wal-Mart – they should have something you can work with.

Leave a bottle of water and some painkillers by your bed before you go out.

Hungover you will thank yourself tomorrow.

Carry cash.

Although bringing your card is convenient for you to carry, it’s inconvenient once you actually hit your bar of choice.  Make sure to bring some cash for quick and easy transactions so you can spend more time enjoying yourself.

That being said… Have some sort of Irish drink.

Whether it be a Guinness or an Irish car-bomb, you should use this day as an opportunity to venture out of your comfort zone and get into the spirit.

“If you can’t stand, you can’t stay.”

This is a chuckle-worthy but accurate creed my friend’s father announced at his graduation party.  Booze as you please but know your limits – it’s better to hit the hay in the comfort of your own bed than in the middle of the bar.

Have fun!

Hopefully your dance battles measure up to the one I’ve shared below. Enjoy your St. Paddy’s Day!

Angelina Castro is a Siena College Class of 2016 alumna. During her time at Siena, Angelina studied Creative Arts and double-minored in Marketing and Broadcast & Society.