St. Paddy’s Day 2.0: A Guide to Surviving Albany When the Parade Comes to Town

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

It’s that time of year again Her Campus readers: The ground is thawing, the air is warmer, Shamrock Shakes are back at McDonalds, and the Albany St. Patrick’s Day Parade is about to shut down the city in a frenzy of Irish Pride fueled by the hops and barley of a tall Guinness Stout.

Am I being too dramatic? Probably. However, St. Patrick’s day is a huge deal not only for those wishing to celebrate their Irish heritage, but also the college students hailing from the five schools surrounding our little Capital. Usually the Parade, which falls on a Saturday this year (I know GREAT right!?!) is a booze cruise alongside the Hudson, but in lieu of recent events, St. Paddy’s day and it’s usual “Kegs and Eggs” persona is in for a serious switch up.  

After the  2013/2014 brawls and the rain out parade  of 2015, this year is the first official time Mayor Kathy Sheehan will implement her policy of prohibiting open containers of alcoholic beverages during the celebration. We can’t really blame our girl Kathy though, the annual celebration has been on Sheehan’s sh*t list ever since she spotted parade-goers urininating near her car during her first St. Paddy’s day as Mayor. Stay classy, Albs.

In all seriousness the parade will be different, but that doesn’t mean it has to be any less fun. Here’s what you NEED to know in order to have a fun and safe Albany St. Paddy’s Day.

1. The Parade starts at 2pm so be sure to show up early to beat the crowds!

2. Central Avenue between Manning Boulevard and Quail Street will be closed for parade lineup; State Street between Broadway and Eagle Street will be closed for parade setup. Remember that the Parade Route is closed to ALL traffic, so your best bet is to utilize that CDTA pass built right into our Saint Cards!

3. If you are going drink alcohol, remember to do it in a bar or in a designated “open container” zone. the new fines can reach up too $150, and/or up to 15 days in jail.  NO ONE WANTS TO SPEND THEIR ST. PADDY’S DAY IN JAIL

4. Drink Water.

5. If your water has vodka in it, do not drive.

6. Do not pee on the mayor Sheehan’s car!

The day after the parade (if you’re feeling up to it) you can catch a freaking Leprechaun in the Catch a Leprechaun 5K & 10K benefiting the Irish American Heritage Museum. The race will be held on Sunday, March 13th, 2016 at the Albany Corning Preserve.

Stay Safe and Happy St. Paddy’s Day!

Kelly-Rose Marry is a Siena College Class of 2017 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Creative Arts.