This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

I’m back again with another way for you to save money for the rest of your college career, as well as your life (as long as Walmart sticks around, but what are the chances it won’t?). If I fail to properly describe to you the benefits of downloading Walmart’s app, I’ve failed myself as both a Walmart employee and persuasive writer. Dr. Snyder will be so disappointed.  

The Walmart app has a handful of features to help you out in your shopping endeavors. The first, and biggest, is Savings Catcher, which is directly linked on the main page. Sign up with an e-mail address that you actually use. Once you do this, you basically earn a free Walmart gift card. Every time you shop, you scan your receipt into your phone. A lot of people will do this before they even leave the register, so that they don’t forget. The app will then scan posted ads from competing stores in the area and, if they find a lower advertised price, will credit the difference back to you on an e-gift card that, when you tell it to, will be e-mailed to you. When you’re ready to use it towards a purchase, it can be done online or by showing the cashier your e-mailed barcode before paying. In addition to being a quick way to earn money back, this part of the app also stores your receipts. If you lose your original, you’ll have the digital right there in your pocket!

Another way to help you plan out your weekly shopping is to use store-specific ads. Walmart now offers your preffered store’s ad right in the app, without the need to trek to the store, get a subscription, or waste paper. You can also see what the current rollbacks are and shop the website, both from the main page.  

A final couple of ways that Walmart helps you to save money is through their price matching and competitor coupon policies. These aren’t through their app, but in stores. If another store has something you need on sale, you can bring the ad in with you and get all of your shopping done in one place. Just tell the cashier what you’d like to price match before they ring it up and show her your ads! If you have coupons from competing stores, you can also use those. Just be aware that wholesale clubs are not considered competitors and their coupons will not be accepted!

Happy shopping, Smart Savers!

Sammi is the Lifestyle Editor at HerCampus.com, assisting with content strategy across sections. She's been a member of Her Campus since her Social Media Manager and Senior Editor days at Her Campus at Siena, where she graduated with a degree in Biology of all things. She moonlights as an EMT, and in her free time, she can be found playing post-apocalyptic video games, organizing her unreasonably large lipstick collection, learning "All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault)" on her guitar, or planning her next trip to Broadway.