A Short History On Our Best Irish Friend Guinness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

He’s our best friend on St. Patrick’s Day for sure!

St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner, and pints of beer are going to be sold by the dozen. The go-to is the traditional Irish beer, Guinness. The question is: what do we know about our favorite Irish pint in a tall glass?

Image Source

Guinness beer began being produced in Arthur Guinness’s brewery in St. James Gate in Dublin, Ireland in 1759. Guinness descended from a porter style beer in London in the early 18th century. After it began being brewed, it became wilding popular, causing Guinness to become a public company in 1886. The average amount of barrels being produced in a year was 1.2 million. Not going to lie but that’s pretty good for beer production in 1886. By 1914 Guinness was producing 2.6 barrels of beer a year which was twice as much as the leading competitor. 

Image Source

In the 1930s Guinness became the seventh largest beer company in the world and remains one of the largest companies today. One of the things Guinness is most known for is for their generosities towards their employees and community. There are two things that make our bud Guinness distinct from other beers. The first quality is the burnt flavor the beer gets from the use of unsalted barley. The second quality is the creamy head of the beer which is a result of nitrogen being mixed in when its poured. Guinness also has two very distinct variations which are considered classics in the beer world, namely the draught and the original/extra stout. 

Image Source

So that’s the low down on our favorite Irish bud at the bar. Happy 260th birthday Guinness and be sure to order a pint on St. Patrick’s Day. Cheers!

Miranda Almodavar is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. She studied Creative Arts during her time at Siena.