This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

If COVID-19 has taught me anything, it is that slowing down and taking care of my mental, physical, and spiritual health has become a top priority of mine. During the months of lockdown, I found myself finally reaching for the self care products I had bought in hopes of having a relaxing night, but then never ended up following through with it. Going into the summer I made it a huge priority to myself to have one night a week where I would not pick up my phone to look at social media and just have a relaxing night. By doing this I have found some products and devices that allow me to have an enjoyable night. 

woman applying lotion
Photo by Sora Shimazaki from Pexels
I have sort of a routine for when I choose to have a self care night, and I think that these steps really help me wind down and make my room a calming place. The first thing I always do is make sure that my room is organized and cleaned before doing anything else. I feel so much better when my room is clean and I am not staring at a mess. Then the next step of my routine is to light some candles and turn on my essential oil diffuser. I love lighting candles because it really just makes my room feel warm and inviting and also provides some lights without having to keep all of your lights on. I also love the diffuser because using different oils, such as lavender, which allows you to truly feel calmed down. After lighting candles and turning on my diffuser I like to turn off my main light so that my room is dim. I find that shutting off my main light helps prepare me for a better sleep and tricks your body into being tired. 

Once I finish that routine, I like to pick something to do. My favorites are either watching a favorite movie or reading a book. My favorite movies and shows recently, and just of all time, are Sex and the City, Gossip Girl, New Girl, and many more. But if I find that I want to not stare at another screen I reach for a good book. While watching or reading I also like to either do a face mask or paint my nails, or anything that allows me to focus on me and take care of myself. Being able to slow down and just focus on something you enjoy and doing that for yourself is one of my favorite feelings. 

After the show or movie has ended or I am done reading the very last thing I usually do before going to bed is write in my journal. This is something I try to do every night, but definitely focus more on it these nights because for me it allows my mind to be cleared and writing down my thoughts takes them out of my head. This is the most crucial part for me because I have just seen a huge difference in my sleep and falling asleep since I began doing this. It also allows me to put my phone down and write directly before bed so that the last thing I am doing before going to sleep isn’t being on my phone.

pink manicure
Photo by Valeria Boltneva from Pexels
With these simple yet effective steps for once a week self care nights, I have been able to prioritize my mental health even more than I ever did before. With the stress of school, working out, and many other stressors college students face it is nice to be able to just have one night to focus on yourself. The products listed below are just some of the products I use during my self care nights and some of the favorites I have found over the past year or so. 

Mini Capri Blue 5 oz. Volcano Jar Candle

This is one of my all-time favorite candles. I get it from Anthropology and have repurchased it many times. It has a more fresh citrus scent, which I personally love. It is $14.00 USD for the 5oz jar. 

100ml Volcano Ultrasonic Diffuser White plus 5ml Eucalyptus Essential Oil Kit – Opalhouse™

This is the diffuser I have used for a few years now. You can really find them anywhere but I personally think Target and also Marshalls have good ones for affordable prices. The one I have from Target is $22.00 USD. 

Rosy Cheeks from Luch Cosmetics

My sister got me hooked on this face mask a few years ago, and it has continued to be a favorite since then. It is perfect for sensitive skin and leaves your face feeling very refreshed. An important note though is to make sure you keep it in your fridge! It is $13.95 USD for a 2.1oz container

THE COMFY Original | Oversized Microfiber & Sherpa Wearable Blanket

My boyfriend got me one of these for Christmas and I have fallen in love with it. I have always loved fuzzy blankets and having one you can walk around in is even better. It is so nice for the colder winter months and when you need to get up to take your facemask off or get us and get a snack it’s perfect. It’s $39.99 USD from Amazon

Journals 

I have found that Target has the cutest journals for very affordable prices and they have ones with lines or just plain white paper. They also have a million different designs on the front so you are bound to find one you like.  You can browse Target’s different options here.

Lip Sleeping Mask

This has quickly become my absolute favorite lip balm. It is so much more moisturizing and it is marketed as a sleep mask however I use it any time of the day. My favorite one is the vanilla but you really cannot go wrong with any of them. You can get it from Sephora for $22.00 USD and it is the brand Laneige.

These are just some of the products I have been enjoying the past few months!

Caroline Seppa is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. She studied Accounting with an Information Systems minor during her time at Siena.