Style

Reasons to Invest in Designer Sunglasses + My Favorite Pairs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

I have always believed that investing in basic pieces for my wardrobe is well worth my money. Having good basics, such as jackets, jeans, boots, and accessories can allow you to have some more fun with statement trendy pieces while still looking timeless while pairing those with some basics. Investing in pieces that you know are durable and will last a lifetime can give you a signature look. 

My all time favorite accessory is sunglasses. Ever since I was younger, but especially as I became a driver, I have been obsessed with sunglasses. Not only are they useful and help protect your eyes, but they also can add a nice touch to any outfit. Whether I am wearing shorts and a t-shirt or a sundress I will always be caught with sunglasses on. In the past, I have gotten sunglasses from stores like Target or TJMaxx, however I always found myself only reaching for my more expensive pair. I was only reaching for my Aviator Ray Ban sunglasses and they have continued to be a staple still to this day. My personal experience with that pair is that they have been dropped multiple times, sat on, and much more and are still in amazing condition after having them for six years. I have also tried Quay sunglasses, which are not necessarily “luxury” sunglasses, however, with a bit of a higher price tag I consider them to be more of an investment. 

Higher-end sunglasses also offer significantly better protection from harmful UV-rays while outdoors or even driving. The lenses are higher quality and your eyes are something that you do not want to take the chance of harming. In general, high quality sunglasses are proved to be more durable and in my opinion only having to buy one nice pair of long lasting sunglasses is superior to continuing to always have to buy multiple pairs every time something breaks or scratches. 

I have tried many different pairs of Ray Bans and although the classic aviator style is by far my favorite and become my signature look, I have also liked other styles. These three styles are all very different from one another and can be flattering on multiple face shapes and sizes. 

Aviator Classic

In sophomore year of high school, I bought my first pair of these and have been obsessed with them ever since. I bought the all black ones and it quickly became known as “my thing” to wear them between all of my friends and I because I wore them all the time. I am now a junior in college and still wear and love them just as much as I did when I first bought them and have bought another pair in a different color because I loved them so much. I feel like this is the style that best fits my shape because they are a little bit bigger and I like how they look a little oversized on my face. They also provide great coverage from the sun. You can buy them on Ray-Ban website for $154.00 USD. 

Clubmaster Classic

The clubmaster style is definitely more of a statement pair. In my opinion, for people with more narrow faces, these work best because the lenses are more round. I also really enjoy wearing these because they look so clean cut and classic. They have a smaller lens though making the coverage not as great as the Aviators, however still cover what they need to. Even though the aviators are very popular for males and females, I personally have seen more people, both men and women wearing the clubmasters and that just goes to show how they can be flattering on everyone. You can get them on the Ray-Ban website for $154.00 USD. 

Erika Classic 

The Erika Classic style is definitely a style I have seen more females than males wear, however, I feel like most sunglasses can be considered unisex. This style has a more round lense, however they are wider than the clubmaster style, giving you the more oversized look. One of my favorite things about this style is that they do not have a nose piece, which you wouldn’t think is very important however for girls with longer hair we all know how annoying it can be when the nose piece gets tangled throughout your hair. In my opinion that is a very big plus, especially on a beach or pool day. You can get them on the Ray-Ban website for $132.00 USD. 

Whether you like more statement or classic pairs of sunglasses to pair with your outfits, investing in a nice pair you love can be so worth it. When I find something that I like and I know I will like for a very long time, investing in a piece that will last forever is nice because you can depend on it for a very long time. Although I only mentioned Ray Bans in this article there are so many other amazing brands out there that are also just as durable and protective as them. A good trick as well to finding high quality sunglasses for less would be to look at Tjmaxx, Marshalls, and Poshmark. I have personally seen Ray Bans for sale in those places and it is a good way to get the pairs you want for a little bit cheaper. 

Caroline Seppa is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. She studied Accounting with an Information Systems minor during her time at Siena.