Rachel Cox ’18 – Her Campus Siena Staff Member & Features Editor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Ever wonder who the wonderful ladies are behind the Her Campus Siena articles? This semester you’ll find out! Check back in every now and then for our profiles of each member of the amazing Her Campus Siena team. 

Name: Rachel Cox

Year: 2018 / Junior

Major: History with a minor in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies

Hometown: Seneca Falls, NY

HC Siena: Why did you choose your major? 

RC: I chose History as my major because, in my opinion, it is one of the most important fields of study. I firmly believe that we must learn from our past in order to be successful in the future. This is true not only for us all as individuals, but also as a country and a member of the global community. As I study history and witness current events unfold, I see time and time again how history repeats itself in ways I wish it would not. The most important step to improving our future is gaining an understanding of how we got to where we are today and where we went wrong in the process.

HC Siena: Why did you want to get involved with Her Campus Siena? 

RC: I wanted to get involved with Her Campus Siena because I wanted to expand my writing skills. I discovered that I enjoyed writing creative fiction in high school, but I never considered writing articles for an online platform until I came across Her Campus at the Club Fair. Writing online content seemed like it would be a great opportunity and a lot of fun, so I decided to give it a try.

HC Siena: What is your favorite part of working with Her Campus? 

RC: My favorite part of working with Her Campus is that I have the opportunity to be a part of a team of amazing young women. Ever since freshman year, I have become more and more aware of the issues faced by women in today’s society, leading up to my decision to become a WGSS minor. It is currently my greatest source of empowerment to know that I am a member of such a diverse and hardworking group of women.

HC Siena: Out of all the articles you have written, which one is your favorite and why? 

RC: I love all the articles I have written, but my favorite one is probably my article on my Top Five Thirty Seconds to Mars songs. I discovered this band almost a year ago and the thing that drew me to their music immediately was how positive and inspiring it is. It was really exciting to get to share some of their songs and hopefully de-stress someone’s day.

HC Siena: What is something that makes you happy? 

One of the things that makes me the most happy is reading. In elementary school, they preached to us how important it is to read for 20-30 minutes every day. I know that many people thought this was annoying, but I have found it to be very useful. At the beginning of every semester, I bring four or five non-school related books with me to campus so I have something to read before bed. I find that this helps me unwind after a stressful day.

HC Siena: What would your memoir be called and why? 

RC: My memoir would be called “The Road to Positivity and Self-Acceptance.” Two of my long-term goals are to learn how to have a more positive outlook on the world and to accept myself for who I am, especially the things that I cannot change. These are two things that have been always really hard for me to do, but I strive every day to make them a reality.

HC Siena: If you were stranded on an island, what three things would you bring? 

RC: The three things I would bring with me on an island would be tea, a backpack full of books, and chocolate.

HC Siena: If you could choose a mentor, who would it be? 

RC: I would pick Princess Diana because she represents everything that I strive to be. She was someone who radiated love and kindness in everything she did, and always put others before herself. These are qualities that I have always admired in others and have wanted to display myself.

HC Siena: Why do you think everyone should read Her Campus Siena? 

RC: I think that everyone should read Her Campus Siena because it provides a wide variety of content. On our website you can find articles covering study tips, ideas of what to do over break, things to do for fun on and near campus, learn about influential people in the Siena community, and so much more.