The Pros and Cons of Wearing Wigs in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

No, you’re not in the wrong place and this article is not for your grandma, or it could be, if your grandma’s hippity hoppin’ and taking classes at Siena College. In that case, do you grams!

GIF Source

PROS:

Throw that Dry Shampoo Away

You no longer have to wake up late and worry about spraying the entire can of dry shampoo on your head, so it doesn’t look greasy or trying to style it when you only have a few minutes to get ready. You can just grab your wig, put it on and go!

GIF Source

Bold Colors with No Bleach

Stop killing your hair with bleach and dye! Your hair does not enjoy being put through a chemical change. In fact, your hair hates it! Why not try buying a wig that has the perfect ombre you’re looking for? This way your hair loves you because it’s safe underneath and you get to switch up the colors as often as you like.

GIF Source

Bold Cuts but No Balls

GIF Source

Perhaps you want a short cut but you’re too afraid of looking like Dora, or you had a Britney breakdown and now you’re bald and ashamed to go outside. With a wig, you can try out short hair-cuts risk-free or fix a mistake post-breakdown.

GIF Source

Hair Growth Ladies

The easiest way for your hair to grow is to leave it alone! I’m sure you spend a lot of time loving your hair but right after you condition your hair and it loves you for that, you turn around and blow dry it for 20 minutes. It’s a love-hate relationship I know, but you could change that by simply wrapping your hair up and putting a wig on top of it.

GIF Source

Affordable for a college budget

My go-to website for affordable wigs is Sams Beauty. They have a wide range of styles and colors for prices as low as $9.99. Who can beat that?! If you’re not comfortable with shopping online, I would suggest going to BSW, which is a beauty supply store. They carry lots of wigs and a lot of the women that work there can help you if it’s your first time purchasing wigs.

GIF Source

CONS:

Tangled Mess

Synthetic hair is usually what you’d get when you buy a cheap wig and when it comes to synthetic, you’ll need a brush on hand all the time. It gets tangled so fast, especially at the ends. Typically, when the ends of my wig get unmanageable, I will just cut it myself and make a brand-new look.

GIF Source

The Better the Hair, the Deeper the Pocket

When wig shopping, the price range is based on the type of hair you’re buying. Obviously synthetic would be the cheapest since it is not real, but when it comes to virgin hair, which is hair that has never been chemically processed, you would be spending over $100. Although virgin hair can be expensive, it will last you a very long time!

GIF Source

Wig Size

All wigs are different, and size depends on the brand you’re buying it from. Some brands like Arda Wigs make their wigs for people with larger head sizes. So, you have to do your research when buying a wig online. If you don’t do your research, you may end up with a wig that’s too loose, and you don’t want the slightest wind to blow your wig off because there will be someone watching. 

GIF Source

GIF Source

Thumbnail Image Source

Naarah Jones is a Siena College Class of 2020 alumna. She studied Accounting during her time at Siena.