burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Paula Donohue, Owner of Elusive Soul Clothing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Ever dreamed of owning your own clothing company? Do you love fashion? Are you into small, local businesses? If so, check out Elusive Soul Clothing!

I met with Paula Donohue, the owner of Elusive Soul Clothing, to find out how she began her successful business and how she does it all on her own!

Her Campus Siena: How did you create your business idea? Why fashion?

Paula Donohue: I have always had a passion for fashion. In high school, I was in fashion design class and always loved NYC fashion. I am a hands-on learner and love expressing myself through clothing. I attended LIM college after Hudson Valley Community College, but realized I wanted to come home and start my business ASAP.

HCS: How did you come up with the name “Elusive Soul”?

PD: One day, I was at Professor Java’s Coffee Sanctuary just writing down words and definitions. Then I came across the word “elusive,” which means difficult to find, catch, or achieve and it really stuck with me. I have many different styles, not just one specific style, so I think my style is hard to define. My grandpa used to call me butterfly, and butterflies are definitely elusive.

HCS: What is your favorite part about owning a business?

PD: I love not having to work a 9-5 job. I have tried 9-5 before, and its just not for me.

HCS: What’s it like being a female business owner?

PD: I never want to depend on anyone else for my needs. I want to support myself and my dreams. My mom owns Maria’s Sewing Center in Troy, NY so that’s an advantage for me. Instagram has helped me grow a lot. I did a lot of research on my own and read a lot of books, my favorite being It’s Rising Time by Kim Kiyosaki. It is a really inspiring book.

HCS: What’s the most valuable lesson you have learned in starting and running your own business?

PD: At first, I ordered way too many clothes. I think the best lesson I learned is to start SMALL and work your way up.

HCS Tell me about your pop-up shops.

PD: Local businesses, such as St. Croix Tan, Troy Kitchen, and Maria’s Sewing Center  reached out to me and offered me to host Pop-Up shops, which do really well. I was able to attend Warped Tour as a vendor, and sold out of some of my favorite pieces! It was such a great experience.

HCS: What’s your goal for your company? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

PD: I definitely want to expand. I want to be able to design my own clothes, and eventually go to Coachella as a vendor. I also soon plan to open a brick & mortar store in Troy, separate from Elusive Soul Clothing. I also want to invest in properties.

Check out the Elusive Soul Clothing website! So many cute fall outfits to choose from. Attend a pop-up just 15 minutes from Siena.

Nadia Kasianczuk is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. She studied Psychology during her time at Siena.