Packing Tips for Near and Far

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

It’s that time again Her Campus Siena readers! Time to pack up for the summer and go home. Whether or not you’re room is neat and tidy, or a big hot mess, packing can be stressful, especially since you can’t leave anything in your room this time around.

Siena College has pretty diverse student body, with people hailing form across the United States, and abroad. With this, one packing tip guide would simply not suffice for our distinct college community.

So.… I’ve asked for the help of three lovely Siena girls who’ll tackle traveling home from a short distances, 16 hour drives and, 11 time zones.  

No matter where you hale from, their packing tips will help you make the best out of your own trip!

Kirsen Jedd- Bethpage, New York

“This is the first time I’m going to be driving myself so I’m going to put all the seats down in my tiny car and try to fit all my stuff. Big plastic bins are a great way to move things if you’re drive isn’t too long. I have two bins, one for clothes and one for desk stuff. I put my bedding in giant garbage bags, which take up less room then the bins. The rest just go in the regular bags I use for when I go home for weekends and stuff.

Samantha Burke- Atlanta, Georgia

“Everything is like a puzzle when I pack my car for the ride back to Georgia, basically if a thing fits I put it there. When your car is tightly packed, it’s important to have the things you need to pass the time handy. Anything I want during the ride like my computer, iPad, books, etc., are in my backpack at my feet. The rest of my things go wherever they fit. Like any road trip, you need to have a system on order to not drive yourself crazy over 16 hours of driving.

My biggest tip for people driving long distances is definitely put bigger items in first. The rest of your things can find a place on top of the big things, or wherever they fall in between. Also make sure your car is clean and in shape before you hit the road so there aren’t any surprises along the way!   

Fariyah Omarshah- Harare, Zimbabwe

“I’ve only been her one semester so it’s my first time packing to go home! My mom and my dad came with me the first time so I got to use both their suitcases [plus my suitcase.] Now that I’m going back I’m only allowed maximum of 2 suitcases. One of the suitcases has to be my hockey stick bag so I literally only have one suitcase! If you’re international you have to pack what you need. I’m going back to winter so all the summer clothes I’ve gained here are I’m going to store in international storage! I’m taking all my warm clothes and my Under Armour. Definitely check the weather. If you don’t check the weather you could pack for a blizzard and it could be high 70’s. My biggest tip for packing is to go for what’s for comfortable. Pack things you know you’ll wear, not like a sequined sparkly type of dress that you might wear!

So Her Campus readers, whether you’re going 3 miles or 3,000 miles, have a safe trip, and start packing! 

Kelly-Rose Marry is a Siena College Class of 2017 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Creative Arts.